'Ex's and Oh's'

Laney navigated her jeep up the long, curving driveway towards Tom's home. It was all too familiar. Not that long ago this was her home as well. The memories of the evenings she had spent there alone after Tom had left her however, by far outweighed any good memories she had of sharing the home with him and that made it easier to tell him what she had to say.

"Laney." He greeted her at the door before she could knock.

"Hey. I hope this isn't a bad time." She tucked a strand of honey blonde hair that had slipped from her messy ponytail behind her ear.

"Never for you darling. Come in."

"Oh...ok." She hesitated. She wasn't planning on going in however she followed him inside.

"What's on your mind love?" He asked as he crossed the kitchen, pulling 2 bottled waters out from the fridge he offered her one.

"No thank you." She mumbled. "I came to tell you..." She cleared her throat as she looked around the kitchen avoiding his eyes.

"Laney.....?" He prompted leaning his tall frame back against the counter.

"Chris and I are seeing each other."

"Chris?" He repeated.

Laney nodded still not making eye contact.

"Why won't you look at me darling?"

"Chris and I are together so don't stop by anymore." She finally looked up.

"I see." Laney watched his jawline tighten and his eyes narrow. "When did this begin?"

"Officially last night."

Tom nodded setting the bottles of water down on the counter.

"So I guess that's it." Laney pressed her lips together.

Tom, still silent, didn't move.

"I'm gonna go." She said quietly.

Tom reached out grabbing her by the hand, he pulled her back to him, so close she was pressed against him, his hand firmly on her lower back. His eyes so serious, bore into hers. She stilled her breathing as he lowered his head, his lips inches from hers.

"Don't tell me you feel nothing for me." He said his voice a deep growl.

Laney closed her eyes, her heart pounding in her chest. "It doesn't matter what I feel for you because I'm dating Chris."

"You seem unsure about that." Tom reached up pushing her hair from her face.

"Tom." She begged, her voice breaking.

His grip on her loosened and she exhaled. Then before she could take a step back his lips were on hers, his hands on her hips pulling her back to him. She melted into him, responding to his kiss. But immediately stopped, pressing her hands on his chest she pushed him back.

"You always do this. Pull me back into you. But you don't deserve me. And I like Chris. I'm not going to hurt him. Please stay away from me. Please." She pleaded.

_____________________________________

Chris hadn't been able to stop smiling since he had left Laney's apartment the night before. Picking up his phone he pulled up Mackie's number, hit send and waited.

"What's going on brotha?" Mackie answered.

"Hey hey. What's good?"

"Another day, another hangover." Mackie laughed.

Chris chuckled, "I hope that's not true. So.....I finally made my move." He said casually.

"What?"

"My move."

"What are you talking about. Be more specific man."

"On Laney. I made the move on Laney."

"Ohhhhh! Right! Did she let you down easy?" Mackie snorted.

"Actually, quite the contrary."

"What? She's dating your sorry ass?"

"Indeed, she is." Chris replied proudly.

"And she and Hiddleston are....done?"

"Yeah, I mean we haven't talked about it." Chris frowned deflated. "But we went out last night and I asked her to be my girlfriend-"

"Oh Lord please tell me you didn't say that." Mackie doubled over in laughter. "You are so not smooth Evans."

Chris rolled his eyes as his phone beeped in his ear, "Alright man I gotta call coming in I need to grab. You in Los Angeles?"

"I am."

"Let's catch up and grab a beer."

"Sounds like a plan. Late."

Chris switched the call, "Tom."

"Hey man." Holland grinned. "What's going on?"

"Not much....I have a feeling why you're calling."

Tommy laughed. "So Laney tells me you two are official now, huh?"

"We are." Chris said slowly.

"I'm happy for you. Both of you. I know that you really care about her and I know she likes you a lot. But," His voice dropped low, "Laney is my best friend. I watched Tom rip her heart out and destroy her. If you so much as make her cry my 140-pound ass will annihilate you."

Chris was silent for a moment before clearing his throat, "Noted."

"Good." Tom's voice was cheery once again.

"So she really likes me, huh?" Chris sat down on his couch propping his feet on the coffee table, "Did she say that?"