'What a lovely little mess I've made'

Laney stared at the tv not paying much attention to it. It looked like a blurb of colors moving across the screen.

"Are you ok?" Chris jiggled his legs causing Laney's legs, which were sprawled out over his, to bump.

"Yeah." She glanced over at him, "Why?"

"It's Jimmy Fallon's opening monologue and you haven't cracked a smile. Usually you're crying laughing."

Laney smiled, "I'm fine. I'm just thinking about work."

"Everything go ok today?" His eyes were full of concern.

"It did." She assured him. "I'm glad you will be there tomorrow." She drew her legs back and crawled towards Chris wrapping one arm around his waist and resting her head on his chest.

Chris kissed the top of her head and squeezed her tight. "You're sure you're ok?" He asked again.

Laney nodded pushing the image of a tearful Tom begging for her back out of her mind.

______________________

Laney finished up the next day on set before Chris and Tommy had plans with Zoey which left Laney alone in her apartment. She was making a quick dinner when someone knocked at her door. Grabbing a dish rag from the oven handle she wiped her hands and walked to the front door.

"Tom?" She was a little shocked to see him at her door. Looking a little closer his eyes were glassy, and he was sort of slumped against the wall, "Are you- are you drunk?"

"No, love." He slurred. He was definitely drunk.

"How did you get here?"

"A car."

"Well yes obviously. But did you drive?" She stepped out into the hallway to observe him better.

"No, driver drove."

Laney raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here?"

"I love you." He let out a little hiccup.

"Is your car still here?"

"Nope." His lips popped over-enunciating the p.

"I can call you an Uber." She suggested.

"No, Laney I'm begging you for another chance. I'll get on my knees." He started to bend and slump forward but Laney quickly stopped him.

"No, don't do that. Go sleep this off. I will talk to you tomorrow." She tried to bargain.

"Please don't say that. Don't push me away. I'm so in love with you Laney." He stood up swaying a little but then took a deep breath trying to fight the alcohol induced state he was in.

"Go home Tom." She pleaded.

"If I had known being with you in January was the last time I'd get to hold you close, to kiss your neck, to feel your arms around me," He took a step closer closing the gap between them, "To have your lips...." He trailed off as his thumb gently rubbed across her lower lip.

"Am I interrupting something?" Chris's voice caused Laney to jump, her eyes wide.

"Chris, when did you- how long-" Laney fought to form a sentence.

"Long enough." He replied sternly.

Tom took a step back before retreating down the hallway.

"Tom, do you have a ride?" Laney called out.

"He'll be fine." Chris's eyes fixated on Laney's.

They walked into her apartment and Chris shut the door behind them.

"You were with him in January?" Chris wasted no time.

"Just the one time." She forced out in a wistful whisper.

"But you never told me." He continued.

She shook her head feeling shameful.

"Let me ask this. When I was in Boston and the 2 of you were in LA did you hook up?"

"No, I haven't slept with him since January and Chris believe me it was one time. We weren't back together."

"Not sure that makes me feel better. So you didn't sleep with him. Did you do anything else?" His voice was becoming harsher.

"We kissed." She admitted hanging her head.

"Ok, so you juggled back and forth? Because when I left you in March, after you kissed me multiple times, I had thought I had made my intentions of wanting to be with you clear. I had thought you wanted to be with me. But was I just the backup plan in case Hiddleston broke your heart again? Or was he the placeholder until I came to Los Angeles?"

"Chris." The hot tears began to fill her eyes. "It wasn't like that. Any of that. What I felt, and feel for you is real deal."

"Are you still in love with Tom?" Chris's eyes were an icy blue drilling into her.

"No."

"When did you realize you no longer loved him?"

"Not long after we started to officially date." She confessed. "But isn't that a good thing? I want to be with you." She reached out for him but he didn't move towards her.

"I'm going to get dinner at home tonight. I need to let Dodger out anyway." He moved quickly and was out the door in seconds leaving a crestfallen Laney crying on her kitchen floor.