'New York, it puts a spell on you'

Half way through the play Laney looked around, Tom sitting on her left, Chris on her right and down the row, her entire family. It was a little odd Chris being there. Tom had been to plenty of family functions and Laney was pretty sure her parents were ready to adopt him. Chris looked over, catching Laney's eye he winked at her before turning his attention back to the play.

After the show ended they went to the after party at Magic Hour Roof Top Bar and Lounge where Zoey's parents had rented out the entire place for the private event.

"This place is unbelievable!" Tom walked up to Laney carrying 2 cocktails. "Here this is The Diplomat. It has some rum in it." He handed one of the cocktails to Laney.

Laney sniffed it before taking a small sip. "Wow. So good. So strong....what did you get?"

"It's called We were on a break!" Tom laughed. "Want to try?" He held it out to her.

"Yes please." She took a sip and shuddered. "I don't think I like it."
"Oh what a shame." He laughed again taking it back, he put it to his lips.

"Hey!" Chris walked up with his own cocktail. "Your family knows how to throw a party!"

Laney laughed. "Yes, they do. Oh there's Zoey! Tom you haven't even met her yet! ZOEY!" Laney called.

Zoey's head turned, and she brushed her dark hair from her eyes. Her face lit up when she saw Laney and she excused herself from the guests she was speaking with to join Laney, Chris and Tom.

"Laney!!" She squealed pulling her in for a hug. "I'm so glad you made it!"

"Me to! You remember Chris?"

"Uh yeah! Captain America!" She laughed with a pause before hugging Chris.

"And this is Tom-"

"Holland. Spider-man!" Zoey interrupted grabbing Tom's hand to shake it. "I loved you in Homecoming!"

"Thanks." Tom said his face turning red. "I thought you were amazing tonight. You're really, really pretty."

"Thanks." Zoey blushed a deep red.

Laney gave Tom a wide-eyed smile. "No chill huh?"

"Did I say that out loud?" He tried to laugh.

"So what's next? Now that Broadway is done?"

"I'm actually going to Los Angeles in a couple weeks for some auditions." Her eyes sparkled.

"You are? You have to stay with me!" Laney suggested.

"I'm in LA all the time. And at Laney's we should hang out." Tom suggested.

Laney smiled at Tom again. "Just jumping right in there aren't you?"

Tom ducked his head.

"Are you kidding? I would love that. I will definitely take you up on that offer." Zoey smiled shyly just as someone across the room called her name. "Ok I must keep making the rounds, you 2 know where you're going tonight to get to my place? Oh wait you dropped your stuff off earlier right? They let you in?"

Laney nodded, "Yes we're all set. We will see you later." She blew her a kiss. "What was that?" Laney turned to Tom once Zoey was out of ear shot.

"What?" Tom asked innocently taking a sip of his drink.

"Chris back me up here, I think Tommy has a thing for my cousin." Laney grinned.

"Oh yeah. Definitely." Chris agreed confidently. "You're like really really pretty." Chris teased.

"Alright, alright. I didn't sound like that." Tom laughed.

Laney gave him an unsure look. "I think you did."

Tom shrugged looking over at Zoey who was glancing back at him.

Laney raised an eyebrow at Chris who shrugged himself.

The party went on well into the evening. Even though it was March and they were on the rooftop of a New York City skyscraper there were tented and heated areas that made it was comfortable. Laney was feeling just tipsy enough that she forced Tom to dance with her.

30 minutes later Tom's feet were starting to throb. "Ok, ok. I need a break love." He stopped dancing. "Evans!" He grabbed Chris who was talking to someone nearby the dance floor, "Dance with this crazy woman." He took the drink from Chris's hands and pushed him towards Laney.

"You don't have to." Laney waved her hand.

"No, I want to. Come on." He took her hand in his as Michael Buble's version of 'The Way You Look Tonight' began to play.

"You sure?" She hesitated.

"I am." He spun her around before taking her into his arms.

"Wow! You got some move Evans." She said clearly impressed.

"I have a few tricks up my sleeve." He wiggled his eyebrows at her.

Laney laughed as they twirled around under the enchanting New York City lights.

A little after 11:30 Laney was ready to go. Between the long day and the alcohol, she was exhausted. She found Tom who was dancing with Zoey.

"Hey you two!" She grinned. "I'm going to head out. You want to come with?" She turned to Tom.

"Ummm..."He looked to Zoey.

"Go ahead." Zoey said. "I won't be far behind you. Besides you've had a long day."

"Are you sure?"

Zoey nodded. "Thank you for coming tonight." She gave Laney a hug and then faced Tom. "Thank you for dancing with me." She bit her lip with a smile.

"No thank you for dancing with me! I had a blast. Guess I'll see you at your place...."

She nodded giving him a quick hug.

"I need to find Chris." Laney slipped her arm through Tom's. It didn't take long to locate Chris and he to was ready to go. The 3 of them made their way down to the busy streets of Manhattan where a car was waiting for them.

"Where are you staying?" Laney asked Chris.

"My buddies place, upper west side."

"Oh." Laney frowned, "We're lower east side."

"I'll go along for the ride." He slid into the car beside her. The car ride was about 20 minutes but with traffic it took a little longer. Tom was about passed out against the window. Laney was smushed in between him and Chris.

"You tired?" Chris asked as he slid his arm around Laney's shoulder allowing her to rest her head against him.

"I am." She yawned. "It was so much fun though. Did you have fun?" She tilted her head, so she could look up at him.

"I did." He held eye contact with her, their faces only inches apart. His eyes flickered down to her lips. "I really want to kiss you right now." He said in a husky whisper.

Laney swallowed before leaning up, her lips brushing against his softly in the darkness of the car.