n i n e

Jordan was asleep on the floor after knocking out to the horror movie but I had not felt one ounce of sleep in my body.

Maybe it was the sugar rush from eating too many sour patch kids or because I was staring at my computer screen at the last five minutes wondering if tonight was that lonely Jack Gilinsky night.

I slid of my bed tip toeing over her and reopening the message tab.

I mean, what else was there to be done then type a simple hello or a Goodmorning even though it's 3 in the morning and I have service in 4 hours.

I let out a deep sigh reaching for my phone and coping the number into my keypad and hesitating over the call button.

If all goes wrong I say it was an accident.

I pressed the phone to my ear listening to it ring and went it got to the third ring I had almost hung up. But indeed I did hear that deep intoxicating voice that I had grown used to for the past week and days.

"It's a little late for you to be calling Charlie." He immediately said as I just played with my bottom lip staring at my screensaver, "Dont you have church tomorrow?"

"Couldn't sleep." I say, "And I got tired of listening to my own thoughts."

He laughed a bit as my smile cracked, "So you rather listen to my voice? Where's the boyfriend when you need him?"

There goes that rush of guilt again, "I don't need a boyfriend, I need a friend."

"Is that what we're going to be?" He asked as I looked around in front of me biting my bottom lip, "Friends, Charlie?"

I stopped feeling the same sensations as earlier that night throughout my body, "What else would we be Jack?"

"That isn't my decision." He now whispered.

I walked over to my bed laying on my back and looking at the jagged ceiling.

"Then who's is it?" I asked as his side of the line went silent.

"When the times right so will the answer be." He muttered in a raspy voice, "I was thinking of getting in my best Sunday suit and giving your dads service a try."

"If you want to be lectured about teenage rebellion and being the worst offsprings, be my guest." I joked making him laugh once again, "But seeing you in a suit for once would be nice."

"What? You don't like my tight shirts and nice pants?"

I rolled my eyes laughing a bit, "You are something Jack."

"But out of all things tired." He yawned as I heard the movement through the phone, "I'll see you bright and early Charlotte."

"I hope so."

I kept my ear pressed to the phone waiting for the dials that he hung up but he never did and I didn't either.

***
I had been running on three hours of sleep and one cup of poorly made Coffee by one of the singers. I should've never dialed Jacks number and stayed up that night.

"Are you okay?" Jordan asked as I finished shoving the donut into my mouth.

"Yeah just balancing my blood sugar." I say wiping my mouth with a napkin, "Who invited your brother?"

"My mother." She groaned as we eyed her brother and Jack continuing to fill their pockets with the free mints given out by the church, "Who invited Jackass?"

I shrugged still looking over at him as he pushed James back before popping one in his mouth and walking in the direction of the buffet.

Shoot.

I quickly turned around pretending I was fixing the napkins before taking my styrofoam cup and facing James and Jack.

"Did your dad become a pastor to rip on millennials?" James asked reaching on the table and picking up a donut, "And you live with that?"

"Shove a donut in it." I groaned pushing the sweet treat into his mouth and crumbling it onto the floor and his shirt.

"I won't call you what I had in mind since we're in the holy place." He muttered dusting of his shirt and chewing down what was left of the donut.

"Good morning Jack." I said totally ignoring James by this point, "Would you like something to eat?"

"James has a point." He then answered, "I thought I was going to learn the righteous way, not that way teenagers are fucking everything up."

Jordan slapped his shoulder, "Not in church. You guys are the devil in disguise and I'm pretty sure everyone here can tell."

"They're just new." I said making Jordan roll her eyes, "It's their first time-"

"-and last." James cut in crossing his arms over his chest.

"How are you kids doing?"

Everyone, even Jack stood up a little straighter and the sound of my dads voice coming from behind the James and Jack.

Jordan had quickly set down her unfinished donut, "Great, just talking about that speech. Quite a speech."

"I noticed more teenagers coming to service, thought I'd give them a wake up call." My dad answered slightly eyeing Jack and James.

"I don't want to be rude but where in the Bible does it say kids can't live a little?" Jack questioned.

I sighed quietly closing my eyes and shaking my a head. Now this is something we won't hear the end of.

My dad shoved his hands in his pocket and eyed Jack, "You're not a kid, you're almost an adult with responsibilities. I never said you couldn't live, just do it right."

Jack and my dad made the most tension filled eye contact before my dad looked over at me.

"Charlotte say your byes, your sister is visiting today and the house needs to be cleaned." My dad said before walking away.

"I'll call?" Jordan asked as I placed my cup in the trash and grabbed an extra donut.

I looked up at Jack who looked like he wanted to ask the same thing. So I just stared hoping he'd know the answer was for him.

"Please do."