t h i r t y t w o

I had arrived thirty minutes past curfew and I was surprised when I arrived and the house was still lit up from the inside. I had known the lectures were coming as soon as I opened the door but at this point I could take any words thrown at me cause in the end, I was going to live the rest of my teenage years in Georgia.

I pushed the door open taking out my key and looking at the bright entrance and peering into the living room. My mom has been asleep on the couch leaned onto my dad's shoulder and my dad was watching something on tv before looking at me enter the living room.

"Sorry I'm late." I apologized closing the front door behind me and locking it, "There was an accident-"

"You don't have to lie." He said low enough to not disturb my mom, "I checked the route, it should've taken you thirty minutes to get here and since you didn't then you made a stop elsewhere."

And exactly the thing I was trying to avoid he was only trying to do.

"Well then I'm sorry for lying." I mutter beginning to walk towards my room. I had lost my appetite before I had even arrived and I certainly didn't want to stand a few feet away from my dad and ignore him angrily while he did the same just to make a sloppy sandwich.

"What has gotten into you Charlotte?" He asked. I stopped on the first step closing my eyes and letting out a silent sigh. My dad had now gotten from his position and stood across the kitchen away from me, "Have I done something wrong? Is this the reasoning for your rebellion?"

I shook my head afraid that if I spoke then my voice would crack giving away the first sign of an emotional breakdown I had really needed.

"You're turning into your sister each passing moment." He said while eyeing me up and down, "I knew you would just one day turn and leave but you're still a child. My child. I would never want you to hate me."

"I don't hate you." I admit crossing my eyes over my chest and avoiding any eye contact with him, "I just wish you'd listen. I know what's best for me dad, not you."

"I am building what's best for you Charlie."

"And you're still not listening!" I say breaking a small smile, "I'm not going to be what you wanted Riley to be. I'm not your picture perfect daughter, but I'm your daughter and I thought that would be enough regardless of what I've messed up."

He paused for a moment letting what I had sink in till it had an actual meaning for him. Meanwhile I had walked up the rest of the stairs and into my room feeling soothe already in the cool air and calming silence.

I threw my keys into the bed stripping off my hoodie and sliding on a more comfortable shirt. My room had been a mess since I threw all my clothes onto the floor to pack them and I had needed it done by tonight if I wanted to avoid doing it this Saturday last minute.

I sat down on the floor unlocking my phone and staring at the few text messages between Jack and I. I had gotten used to deleting them after every conversation in case someone had gotten suspicious but since the secrets were out and my dad knew of the scandalous things I was doing, it hadn't mattered what I did with the messages.

I texted a quick I arrived message before beginning to assort my clothes into the suitcases my mom has given to me earlier today. I didn't know what I was even going to do while I was down there and more importantly what was even in Georgia? But I began filling my suitcases with some of the best clothes I owned, night as well look good.

The distant vibration of my phone had definitely disturb my entire process and when I had check to see the called ID I was surprised to see Jack was calling me. I mean, we texted, we've only held one conversation over the phone and that was in the very beginning of our very complicated relationship.

"Hello?" I asked pressing it against my ear and waiting for his voice to pick up.

"Hey." He replied quickly after, "How's it kicking?"

I smiled a bit shoving the next pair of ripped jeans into the suitcase, "It's fine, is everything okay?"

He hummed lowly, "I guess I just wish I could see you right now."

I smirked a bit holding back a bright smile before looking around at the time on my computer screen. 11:30. It was definitely past my curfew and it had been late as it is, which meant my parents had obviously been getting ready for bed.

I looked over to the bedroom window realizing since I was on the second floor, it'll definitely be a very risky process. But I could easily get out the front door, I've done it plenty of times already.

"Late night getaway?" I asked raising an eyebrow that he couldn't see.

"I'll pick you up." He said immediately agreeing with me, "Text me when it's safe."

I muttered an okay before hanging up the phone and staring around at the mess on the floor again before listening closely for any noise outside of my door. Luckily my parents room was not far from mine and I could hear just about anything that I needed.

My dad was currently brushing his teeth before bed and my mom had been asleep before she had even gotten a chance. Once my dad took his medication, I'd have at least fifteen minutes before i could actually text Jack.

I gotten up from my position and tip toeing to the door slightly opening it and watching the light under my parents door flicker off. I smiled a bit going back for my keys and phone and sliding on my sandals before walking out the door quietly.

If I was moving to Georgia, might as well get my last few nights of freedom in.

***

This chapter kind of sucks but it's okay, most of them do.

I've actually been on spring break since Thursday so I'm going to try to update as much as I can.

Anyways, opinions?