t w e n t y s e v e n

I wanted to stay in this McDonald's parking lot for the rest of the night. To sleep it off and act as if there weren't people worried about me and constantly texting and calling my phone.

But each person had acknowledged I was ignoring them and had went into possessive family pretty much each ten minutes and ruining the stillness of the night.

Surprisingly the ice cream machine was working and Jack and I were enjoying flavored ice cream on our way back into town. Because he was driving I would spoon feed him a big enough bite so he could concentrate.

We didn't bring up the sex afterwards. We just pretended like it was something that always happened between us and ignored the conversation altogether which I was more than thankful for.

I didn't want to talk about it, it wasn't that I didn't enjoy it but I didn't want it to be a talk.

"James is calling again." I said reading the called ID. I normally wouldn't have said anything but we were listening to music on his phone so it wasn't like it was easy to ignore, "Should I pick up?"

"We're almost there." He said while making the turn into the their neighborhood.

It was going to be weird and I know they both were going to need some explaining. Jack and I had left for about five hours ignoring anyone who had texted or called and didn't bother to check in with anyone.

He parked alongside the curb of their house to avoid our headlights flashing into their living room. It was close to 11:30 when we arrived and we had been gone since about six.

I handed him his ice cream cup as we both got out of the car. There was a forming pain between my legs that caused me to walk weird but I had tried to play it off since we were finally in front of other people.

There was no point of hiding it. I mean, I'd have to tell Jordan eventually and I'm pretty sure Jack couldn't hold back from telling James he got to sleep with the preachers daughter.

"Don't look too excited." He joked as we approached the door. I laughed a bit pushing it open and letting the cool air from the house watch over my body.

Jack and I had both stopped at the small crowd in the living room. This couldn't be happening.

My dad and Jacks dad rose from their position on the couch as my mother just held a hand over her mouth staring at jack and I while Jordan's mother aided beside her. James was leaned against the wall looking up from his phone and Sammy.

Oh Sammy was here too.

He had stopped pacing in the middle of the floor and staring at Jack and I with worried filled eyes that quickly turned into confusion.

My stomach had dropped at each pair of eyes set on me and the fact that Jack and I had walked in together after hours of no one hearing from us.

This looked bad because it was bad. This wasn't the way they were supposed to find out.

"There's no more tea-" Jordan stopped herself once walking out of the kitchen with two clear cups in her hands, "Or maybe there is."

"Charlotte what are you doing? Where have you been?" My dad asked first slowly approaching Jack and I.

My words had been caught in my throat, I didn't know what to say but my dad had stared at me waiting for an answer.

"I'm sorry Mr Ryder I didn't know she had a curfew." Jack lied trying to making the situation less worse than what it was.

My dad diverted his attention from me to Jack quickly changing his entire body language, "And why the hell was she with you?"

"Honey-"

"What did you do to my daughter?" My dad asked this time his voice almost at a yell.

"Dad stop." I said, "I'm fine, you can obviously see that."

"Charlie..."

I looked over to Jordan who had secretly pointed to her neck. I stared at her confused before feeling my neck and surely the rough patches had meant something else. How could Jack do that? Why would he do that?

"Oh shit..." James muttered from across the room.

Sammy and I had made eye contact for the first time in forever, like real intimidate staring. My breathing became uneven and I could feel my eyes coming to a water as if I didn't put myself in this position.

"Sam..."

He had brushed past me walking out the door. I quickly set my ice cream down onto the table before following him outside where had just stared at my car.

"Sammy." I called out approaching him slowly. There was no response and I could tell by his body language that if I said anything else I was most likely going to get yelled at.

He let out a small laugh, "You're not even going to apologize for it?"

He turned a bit looking over his shoulder at me. I could read his entire body, his face, his eyes. He hated me and I had given him everyone reason to.

"Is that what you've been doing while I'm not around?" He then asked as I tried to open my mouth to talk, "Hooking up with Jack Gilinsky?"

I shook my head, "Today was the first time."

"But before that Charlie." He said this time approaching me, "What happened before this?"

"Sam-"

"Tell me." He pleaded.

I looked everywhere but at him at this point, "I'm so sorry."

"For what?" He asked.

He was going to make me say it, out loud with the whole house watching through the window. I had felt their eyes on us the moment we had walked outside.

"For what!?" Sam asked again this time harsher, "For which part Charlie? Lying to me or fucking my best friend? Or both? You tell me!?"

That was the first time I had heard him swear and of course I had to be the reasoning behind it. I didn't want to admit it to Sammy because it had sound worse out loud. I should've just put his feelings into consideration for once.

He used his sleeve to wipe under his nose before backing away from me, "I need to take a breather and get away from-."

He stopped himself but I had known he was going to say me, he wanted to say me.

I watched him make his way down the street. His car wasn't in sight so I wasn't sure where he was walking to and if I should chase after him. But what did I look like chasing him to explain myself? He had already caught me in the act.

I took short and rapids breath closing my eyes and using my sleeves to wipe any stray tear away. I couldn't go back inside, I couldn't put myself through that emotional suicide.

"Charlie..."

I could tell who's voice it was and it wasn't enough to make me turn around. Instead I stood up straight and headed towards my car sliding into the drivers seat.

I took a quick glimpse at the house and sure enough Jack was standing in the yard a couple feet from where I had been while the rest of the house had begun to pour out watching me.

I started my car and pulling away from the house not even wanting to make eye contact with anyone before I left.