t h i r t y e i g h t

After Sammy had basically dropped the mic and walked off the stage everyone in the crowd had stared up at the empty stage shocked and speechless. I couldn't conjure a thought on why Sammy would say all this other then him being tired of everything that has been dumped on his recently.

He was his family star child after his brother had messed it up badly. He was the churches sweetheart everyone had expected so much for him. His girlfriend had just cheated on him with his former best friend. This was his breaking point.

I understood what he was going through.

Jack had tapped my leg making me look over to him before signaling that we should leave. It was going to be weird to leave in the middle of service but at this point it probably didn't matter because everyone had been too shocked to even think about what was next.

The four of us had silently and sneakily snuck out of the pew before walking out of the church doors trying to make the littlest noise as possible.

"What the hell just happened?" Jordan asked pressing a hand to her forehead and staring back at the three of us.

"Sammy told the truth." James shrugged. "I mean, I have nothing to hide."

"Well I do!" Jordan exclaimed throwing her hands up. "My mom is going to kill me. And as if your dad didn't hate me enough."

"I'll most likely get excommunicated from the church." I muttered placing a hand over my stomach becoming increasingly nauseous each passing moment.

The entire church had known everything about me, about my friends, about our mistakes. I knew what their reaction and their opinions on us were already, it was going to be clear very soon. If they weren't judging us before then they were now.

"I don't blame the guy for snapping." Jack shrugged before looking over to me. "I mean can you blame him?"

I stared back over to Jack before just rolling my eyes a bit. "No."

There was a silence around the four of us. I could tell that James and Jordan definitely were thinking about the position that Jack and I had put Sammy through. That him lashing out was very expected.

"That doesn't give him the right to just lash out on all of us!" Jordan snapped back over to us. "Okay, You, Jack, and Sammy have some serious business to handle and till then, consider me MIA."

Jordan dramatically flipped her hair over her shoulder before walking down the stairs leading to the parking lot and rushing over to her car. Meanwhile Jack, James, and I had stood in our position not moving but my body had been fighting the irritation.

"Well we have to talk to him." I finally say breaking the silence. "We've already left him in the dark numerous amounts of times, he deserves some kind of explanation."

Jack raised his eyebrow unamused by my sudden decision. "And how do you think that's going to end Charlie?"

"Better then whatever the hell that was!" I exclaim motioning over to the church. I let out a deep breath calming myself down a bit trying not to let this entire messed up situation get the worst of me. "If you won't go with me then I'm glad to talk to him by myself."

I fixed my posture standing up straighter before walking down the step into the parking lot as well. Boys will be boys which meant that their pride had meant too much for them to consider doing a very reasonable thing.

I just want to thank god for letting me think with my head and not my genitals.

I walked towards the back of the parking lot unlocking my car once a safe distance and settling myself in. Sammy's house was at least a fifteen minute drive away and within those fifteen minutes I need to come up with some sort of reasoning, an explanation about the horrible actions I have done. I need to say what I had to say but at the same time not spill too much, just enough to make it seem genuine.

And it was going to be genuine.

I still cared for Sammy in ways that didn't include a romantic relationship. He was still someone I love and care for just without the butterflies in my stomach. It pains me that I could do something like this to a person, let alone him out of all people.

And this was my mistake to own up to.

I took a deep breath and exhaling a very shaky one before pushing my keys into the car and starting the engine. At the same time my passengers door had opened and Jack casually slid in and staring out of the front windshield.

"Thank you for admitting I was right." I smirked putting my on my seatbelt as James slid into the backseat.

I turned around to look at him as he too put his seatbelt on. I raised an eyebrow at him, "What are you doing?"

He smiled tightly. "Oh, I'm just here for the drama."

***

I aspire to be at careless at James.

Side note: if there was one book of mine that I could rewrite, it would be McDonald's. That book had so much potential but I literally was 13 and had no idea what I was doing 😪.

Tragic.

Anyways, opinions?

(Ps. This chapter isn't edited)