e i g h t e e n

A week had gone past since I had started sneaking around with Jack. Only when it was hot outside and we both needed a car ride away from Oakland we hung out - and still nobody knew.

I had stopped spilling every detail to Jordan and Riley was gone in a month so there was no point in keeping her up with the news. I guess the only people who didn't know were my parents and Sammy.

But ever since the promise ring reveal i had felt and become more and more distant. We had been stuck on base one and all he wanted to do was hold my hand. Not even a kiss on the cheek without him thinking it would turn into something more.

It had ruined the light mood that created our relationship.

"How about this one Mr Ryder?" Sammy asked breaking my train of thought while holding up some religious props for the church.

The tweens were putting on their annual show of Adam and Eve for the adults and we were short of background displays.

"Too dark for children." My dad quickly dismissed while eyeing some sunset displays.

I played with the souvenirs at the front of the store minding my own since usually around this time I'd be face deep in a snack with Jack - but Saturdays I had to dedicate to my family as well as sundays.

I had felt the upcoming body heat and turning to watch Sammy begin walking up to me holding a couple of fake trees.

"You haven't said much." He said placing the trees to his side as I continued to read the scriptures on the souvenirs.

I shrugged, "Sorry didn't want to interrupt you and my fathers Jesus prop talk."

"He needed the help babe-" he began to say as we now both looked at my dad eye a small glass lamb, "Listen I know it's been quiet between us lately but I can make it up to you."

I hadn't kissed or touched Sammy in so long that the remark alone had sent tingles through my body and I had felt myself fighting back a smirk.

"Just any place but here." I groan now turning to look at him. He sighed looking back at my dad who was still lost in decorations to notice.

"Just a few more minutes!"

I let my arms hang numb to my side watching my boyfriend run back over to my dad and helping him choose between a blonde and brunette small plastic child.

Imagine what I could be doing if I ditched these plans to hangout with Jack instead? The snacks, the talks, anything but doing church shopping.

I pulled my phone from my back pocket and quickly dialing Jordan's number where of course she answered after three rings.

"Well well we'll..." she muttered into the phone, "Someone decided to finally back down from Gilinsky eyes."

I rolled mine, "Shut up. I'm actually asking if you're free today?"

She shuffled between some papers and the phone before finally returning back to the phone, "I think the real question is are you?"

"Well Sammy's lost in my dads eyes to even notice my disappearance and I'd rather be anywhere else." I groaned not looking into a body mirror checking myself out.

My father always told me I shouldn't have to worry how I looked because God's image of me was already it's best. And maybe it was vain to admire myself since I'm not existing just to stare at my own appearance but everyone once in a while I did admire myself and my looks.

"Are you even listening to me?" Jordan's voice broke in as I walked away from the mirror, "James and Jack are going to some kickback at the peak, are you down for that?"

I had never been to a kickback. I had family and friend parties where every thirty minutes the pastors and bishops would remind us of some scriptures to keep our heads up.

But never anything out of that. Almost everyone in town had been connected to the church somehow, so even birthday parties of kids at school turnt into a lesson instead of an actual party.

So I didn't know what to do.

"Charlie?" Jordan called out again, "I can stop by with the boys tonight to pick you up, but are you going to risk it? I mean you have to-"

"Lie..." I muttered looking over my shoulder back at my boyfriend and my dad, "I might have to lie to even leave."

"Oh come on, you've lied to your pops before." She said as I just sighed leaning into the wooden walls, "Just say you're doing bible study at my house or you're with Sammy."

"Just be at my house at 9 on the dot." I say getting up off the wall and walking over to them, "May the lord be with me."