Chapter 36: The Invasion Plan - Part 4 - Gotta Fight Our Way Out

Gaara's P.O.V

I immediately tried to go up for Rin, but was quickly stopped by the Azula. As much as she was at a disadvantage without her fire, she showed she was still capable of fighting back. Even if it was two against one.

I sent my sand towards her, she was able to weave and bend her body through my attacks.

I stood back and she gave me a devious smirk, looked up at Rin, then back at me. "That look in your eye,"

"What do you mean?" I questioned confused and she took a step closer to me.

"I can read you," She continued to slowly take her steps towards me. "You care for her so much. There's that glint in your eye. You don't just care for her." She continued. Why was my head burning up whenever this topic came up? So lifting, yet so suffocating.  "Do you only love her because you want to love her?  Or because you just want to feel her love towards you?  You've lacked so much love in your life that you seek for someone to make you feel special?  Doesn't that mean you don't really love her for her?  You just like to feel special for once?"  Azula spoke.  What she said confused me, but at the same time, I felt I understood.

"Move out of the way."  I demanded and she scoffed.

"Don't try to shut the truth out Gaara.  It'll always come back for you."  She gave a devious smirk and jumped away as Aang tried to swing at her.

Wait, do I just want Rin to feel loved, nothing else?

"Gaara!  She's messing with your head.  Save Rin and get her out of here!  That's your job!"  Aang yelled at me.

"Aren't we suppose to stay and fight?" I questioned.

"Rin's in no shape to stay and fight. You need to get her medical attention." Aang jumped away at that note.

Rin's P.O.V

Weak.
That's all I am.

I'm young and dumb and don't know how to keep myself together. Every time I try to help, every time I hope to make a difference, I fall. I fall into a deep dark abyss of nothingness as I'm pulled all the way back to the start.

I wish a family full of love and care would exist in my world, but I'm presented with hate and resent. Makes you question who you can really trust, and really love, when the ones from the start, tend to be the furthest from your heart.

I fear love. I fear the future of it. As I fall more and more for him. I question if things can be different. I question if the void and nothingness in my heart can be filled by him. Can he be my rock?

Can he make feel strong again?

My brothers are against me with an army.

My friends are a group of people trying to be the light in their world, in hope of ending the war and bringing peace.

The odds weren't in our favour.

Being here, I've had more time to think to myself and I thought, and I thought, and I couldn't stop thinking about Gaara.

"Hey.." I heard the familiar voice and felt his warm breath on my face. "I'm here. I'm finally here to save you."

I gulped. "Gaara?"

"Hold on." I felt the chains on my feet release. My feet rested on something. Then my arms were released. I quickly caught my balance and removed my blindfold. I fell forward resting on the sand platform. "I'm getting you out of here." Gaara spoke as his arm snaked around my waist and we headed for the doors.

A figure flew up in front of us with crows circulating him, stoping is in our tracks. His eyes stayed shut. "Rin, don't make me do this."

"Itachi, please don't." I plead. I watched as the blood slowly trickled from his eye. His eyes flew open revealing his Mangekyou Sharingan. "Gaara! Jump off!" I yelled in a rush.

"Amaterasu!" Itachi yelled. Both Gaara and I jumped off before being caught. We watched as the sand burned away in black flames. Itachi slowly lowered to the ground.

"Wait! Where's Toph?" Gaara questioned swirling his head in search for her. I turned to see her fighting Itachi.

"You gave her a clone to verse? That's rude." I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"I think it's rude and pathetic that you are trying to leave your older brothers." Itachi stated in a disappointed tone.

I took a step forward but Gaara grabbed my arm.  I turned to look at his eyes.  He was worried.  "He's going to hurt you.  I know it.  You are in no shape to face him, so please, don't do this.  You don't even want to do this, so why do?"

"He's my brother.  I know him better than anyone.  I have to."  I slowly moved forward feeling my hand slip through his fingers.  "Help Toph get rid of the clone and both of you face Azula.  Naruto will want Sasuke to himself."  I spoke to Gaara facing Itachi.

"Be careful."

"You too."  I said and Gaara quickly left.

Itachi started to walk around a bit.  He his face staying serious as ever.  "I don't know what you do, but you manage to change people who seem far from saving."

I stared at him confused.  "Pardon?"

"Rin," Itachi immediately rushed to me clutching my neck and speaking into my ear.  "The eclipse is almost done.  I have no intention of fighting you.  I have to warn you.  You need to make sure the Fire Nation is defeat by the time Sozin's Comic arrives.  You have to help them defeat the Fire Nation so we can return."

Why was he telling me this?  If he was so concerned on defeating them, he should be on our side.

"What if they can't defeat them?"  I questioned with a shaky breath and he hesitated a bit but laid it flat to me.

"We are all going to die."