16. Real Life

Evelyn and Chris both stood at the alter waiting for the ceremony to begin. She could see that Ian was nervous beyond belief as he kept fidgeting in his spot, hands wringing in front of him. He kept looking back at the double doors that would be opening at any moment as Nina and her father walked through. The bridesmaids and groomsmen were just as anxious to see the bride as Evelyn's  brother was. She couldn't believe that she almost missed this moment. She almost missed watching her brother marry the girl of his dreams, the one person who makes him happy and loves him unconditionally and without reservation.

Evelyn couldn't wait for the day she gets to marry the love of her life. Just thinking of that, she looked up at Chris and caught him already looking her way with a smile making her blush but smile.

She couldn't believe that she was actually dating him. He was the best thing to happen to her in all her life and having the chance to be with him every day both at home and work was something she didn't expect would ever happen. She already knew that her and Chris's relationship was already outed but she couldn't find it in herself to be upset. They've been dating since November, 2016 making it exactly 7 months since they got together and the same amount of time since the accident.

The sound of a familiar song, A Thousand Years, began playing as the double doors opened and down the isle came the bride with her arms links with her father's. The guests all stood as she walked down the isle and Evelyn looked over at her brother to see him bent on the knees crying. She felt her throat clog up as she watched the tornado of emotions flowing from Ian as Nina reached them.

"Who gives the bride away?" Father Nick asked and her father, Konstantin, looked at his daughter and smiled

"Her mother and I do," he said taking hold of Nina's hand and placing a kiss on her knuckles,making the bride smile, before grabbing Ian's hand and connecting their hands.

The ceremony flew by with not a single dry eye in the church. Nina and Ian both read beautiful and loving vows to each other that had everyone in the room crying, well the girls were more so than the guys. Once the ceremony ended, Father Nick announced Ian and Nina married as the guests and their bridal party clapped and cheered for the happy couple as they walked down the isle to the exit with Evelyn and Chris leading the bridesmaids and groomsmen that were later followed by the rest of the guests.

The reception was as equally beautiful as the wedding ceremony. The DJ announced the arrival of the newly weds and their bridal party. Little did Ian and Nina know, their bridal party had a surprise for them.

Evelyn walked up to mic stand and smiled and greeted the guests before focusing on her brother and his wife

"We have a surprise for you both, we hope you enjoy" Evelyn said before walking over to stand across from Chris as the opening strings to Blake Shelton's God Gave Me You and the guys closed the gap and the bridal party began dancing to the music. Nina and Ian couldn't help but grab onto each other as they watched their friends and family dancing in front of them, Nina had tears rolling down her cheeks.

Evelyn closed her eyes and laid her chin on Chris's shoulder as he led them around to the melody of the song. She felt her eyes close and tears stung the back of her eyes.

Nina and Ian walked over to them and hugged everyone before standing in front of Evelyn and Chris and smiling

"I have a feeling you two were the masterminds behind this" Nina said with a watery smile that Evelyn smiled to

"Welcome to the family sister" was all Evelyn said before pulling a crying Nina into her arms and giving her a gentle squeeze before they all walked to the table and to their assigned seats.

Evelyn and the bridesmaids sat to Nina's right with Chris and the groomsmen sat at Ian's left. Edna and Konstantin both danced with Nina and Ian before the couple had their first dance to Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

"We have a special speech from the father of the bride and the sister of the groom who is also maid of honor" The DJ announced and Nina's father stood up and walked to the mic stand taking a folded paper from his pocket, cleared his threat before beginning.

He spoke his words getting caught in his throat and Evelyn looked over to see Nina dabbing at her eyes not wanting her make up to be ruined and Ian pulled her closer kissing her temple. The speech was beautiful and everyone was crying by the end of the speech.

Evelyn took a deep breath before standing up and walking to the mic stand and unfolding the piece of paper she had in her hands. Looking around at the guests, family and friends, she smiled before she looked over at the main table where the bridal party and the newly weds sat looking at her, waiting to hear what she had to say.

"Hello, everyone, I want to start of by thanking everyone for joining our family and Nina's family as we watch Ian and Nina venture into a new life of marriage," Evelyn began as she looked over at the table where Ian and Nina sat with their hands clenched together and smiles on their faces that she mirrored before looking back at her paper

She read the words, people laughed and cried and when she finished, she walked up to her brother and Nina giving them both a hug and saying how much she loved them and that she wished them the best the world could ever give them. The night progresses soon after that. The dance floor was packed with bodies dancing to the music. Evelyn walked outside to the balcony that overlooked the ocean. She still couldn't believe her brother was married. It felt surreal. She felt a presence stand beside her and she didn't need to look over to know who it was. Ian.

He threw an arm over her shoulder and pulled her into his side letting Evelyn her head on his chest and sighed

"I'm happy for you big brother" she murmured

"Thank you for being here with me" he replied kissing the top of her head making Evelyn smile

"Always"