34. Real Life

Loud beeping could be heard in the distance as Evelyn laid unconscious on the hospital bed. A breathing tube was down her throat helping her breath as various other machines were hooked up to her to keep her stable. A familiar figure sat on the hard plastic chair beside the bed holding her hand. It's been two days since the accident happened and the news had already gotten wind of it. He didn't have the heart to announce it to the world that their favorite superhero and vampire was fighting for her life.

"Any change?" A voice asked and Chris looked over his shoulder to see Jeremy standing at the door way with a cup of coffee in each hand and Chris shook his head

"Nothing. Same as it has been for the past two days" the actor replied and Jeremy nodded walking in further and handing him one of the coffee cups and Chris nodded his thanks before looking back down at the unconscious girl.

"Ian and Nina are flying down. They should be here within the next two hours" Jeremy said and Chris nodded not wanting to move his eyes from Evelyn in case she made a move or woke up, but it was unlikely.

"Did they ever find out who rammed into her?" Chris asked

"Yeah, it was a DUI. They were pronounced dead at the scene" Jeremy replied and Chris closed his eyes, he had hoped that the bastard who had caused the accident had survived so they would get jailed for what they did

"Why don't you go home and get some rest Chris? I'll stay with her and call if anything happens" Jeremy suggested but Chris only shook his head, eyes trained in Evelyn's unmoving figure. The only indicator that she was alive was the steady beeping of the heart monitor.

"Come on Chris, you need to rest"Jeremy begged but Chris was having none of it, well that is until the door to the room was practically slammed open making both men jump and look over at the intruder to see Ian and Nina both standing there with theirs eyes glued to Evelyn's unconscious form. Ian was the first to make a move. His steps were slow and shaky. Nina was beside him, keeping a close eye on her fiancé as if worried that he'd fall down any second.

"Why you, Evie?" Ian whimpered as he reached her bedside and crumbled right then and there, tears rolling down his face as his hand took hold of hers in a soft grip

"Why did it have to happen to you?" He repeated his voice cracking with each word," Mom and Dad are flying out to be here with you"

"Come on, let's give them some time alone" he could hear Jermey whisper to Chris who, though reluctant, nodded and followed him out for he room closing the door behind them softly. Nina sat on the vacated seat and took hold of Evelyn's other hand

"You need to wake up soon, Evie. I need my favorite girl to help me pick my dress" she whispered, her eyes overflowing with tears

"You need to get better Evie. You're one of the strongest girls I've ever met and I know you'll get though this"

"We need you Evie, please wake up"

~~~~~

It was three weeks later that anything happened. Chris was back at her side, watching her as she slept soundly. The rest of The Vampire Diaries had arrived days after Ian and Nina had. Edna and Robert had flown in that same night as their son and his fiancée had. They've been here since then.

"Wake up Evie," Chris whispered pushing away a strand of hair from her face,"I need you here with me"

He sighed and closed his eyes deciding to rest for a little bit knowing that nothing would change.

Evelyn could hear people talking around her as she slept. Her body felt numb, her eyelids heavy. She wanted to move. Wanted to wake up and tell those who were speaking to her that she was okay. That she wasn't going anywhere but she couldn't. With one last piece of strength she could muster, she blinked her eyes open. A bright blinding light landing on her eyes making her blink. Once she was used to the light, she looked around the room trying to figure out where she was but she couldn't quite place it. Well not until she turned her head to figure out that constant beeping and saw the heart monitor making it go wild as she felt her heart race in her chest.

What happened? Why was she in the hospital? She felt something heavy in her hand and looked down to see a familiar head and blinked. Chris? And as if he heard his name being called, the person lifted his head many as the door to the room slammed open and a doctor rushed in followed by a nurse.

Chris, startled by the noise of the heart monitor and the frantic door slamming nearly fell of his chair and if she could, Evelyn would have laughed but it was useless as she felt a tube in her throat.

"Welcome to the land of the living, Miss Somerhalder" the doctor said with a smile that she returned before touching her throat as she felt Chris's eyes on her the entire time and the doctor understood as she explained that they were going to remove it and that she needed Evelyn to breath in through her nose as they took the tube out. At first it was hard and it felt uncomfortable but she started breathing on her own.

"What happened?" Evelyn asked, her voice scratchy and hoarse from lack of use

"You were involved in a car accident a few weeks ago" Chris answered and Evelyn looked at him and nodded. She remembered driving home to make dinner for herself and Chris after finishing filming her scene for Supergirl and also seeing a car driving on the wrong side of the lane.

"All your vitals are stable. You should be able to go home within the next couple days," the doctor said and she nodded thanking the doctor before she left leaving the couple alone.

"God you scared the hell out of me, out of everyone" Chris said as he sat back on his seat and Evelyn felt horrible for the pain she had caused while she was under.

"I'm sorry" she murmured but Chris shook his head with a small relieved smile reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, and keeping his hand on her cheek

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault. It was that drunk drivers fault. I'm just happy you're awake" he said and Evelyn looked at him and smiled cupping his face

"I love you so damn much" she murmured

"I love you too, so damn much that I don't know wha tus do if I ever lost you" Chris whispered, his voice sounding hoarse making Evelyn shake her head wiping the stray tear that rolled down his face

"I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. You're stuck with me for a long, long time" she muttered and Chris nodded with a chuckled before leaning down and kissing her. He was beyond glad to have his best corned and love of his life back.