159.Article

Supergirl recap: Double the sisters, double the secrets

SARA NETZLEY

Posted on January 28, 2019 12:16AM

Between the sister tension, the rage-bros, and pretty much everything James did, this week's episode was a tough watch.

We open, again, on Red Daughter, who collapses during training. The Russian doctors dial the shock paddles to max to zap her back to life, and the ensuing purple lightning travels across the globe, striking a pile of pills in a crappy RV on the West Coast. Dealers Jerry and Kev then happily sell the glowing pills to a pair of dudebros, who pop them and morph into whatever the DC version of the Hulk is. (Solomon Grundy, maybe?)

This goes down during Kara's game night, where the Danvers sisters have just cleaned up in Exploding Kittens. The thought of James and Lena having an unfair advantage if they were teamed up makes everybody laugh because they have the chemistry of soggy cardboard, and even Red Daughter in her coma knows it. Then Alex's confusion about not being able to name Kara's favorite movie is interrupted by an SOS call about the rage-bros tearing up a frat party.

Supergirl arrives to help the DEO subdue the assailants, and Alex frostily says, "I would really appreciate it if you would address me as Director Danvers." Yikes.
The next day, Kara eats her feelings in the form of donuts and frets to James that Alex's mind wipe could have unintended consequences. He urges her to throw herself into work, then takes a meeting with one of his reporters, who has a source telling her that L-Corp's got a black budget to fund shady genetic testing. James tells her to investigate but keep him in the loop.

He visits Lena, presumably to ask her about this, but he's charmed to see she's got board games spread all over her coffee table so they can level up their game night skills. The next day, he tells the reporter that he checked into it, and the story's a non-starter.

NO NO NO. This season, Supergirl's trying to make the case that journalism is vital, heroic work. This is true and important, but you CANNOT make that argument when the head of a major news organization is burying actual stories to keep his on-again, off-again girlfriend's company from getting into trouble. Do better, show.

Back at the DEO, Alex couldn't crack the frat boys in interrogation, and she's slow to realize that others could get their hands on the drug, which Brainy determines was irradiated with gamma rays. This makes Alex worry that the Truth Seeker scrambled something in her mind. Feeling vulnerable, she asks J'onn to scan her to see if part of her mind is missing.

J'onn and Brainy agree to lie and tell Alex she's fine, and J'onn suggests she might need a partner to play good cop to her bad cop. He means Supergirl, but she latches onto Brainy, sending him in undercover to speak bro with the two fellas in lockup. In under two minutes, Brainy extracts the names of the dealers who sold them their sweet, sweet rage candy.