TWO: Remember

When I came to, I was met by a soft hand running through my hair. It felt nice, and I knew exactly who it belonged to before I managed to flutter an eye open.

“Tamaki...I bet you're a great hugger…” I chuckled tiredly, and the poor boy nearly ran straight through the wall with how fast he jumped from the bed and turned away.

D..don't s..suddenly wake up a..and say such things, (L/N)..!” He whined; cowering against the bland white plaster. I scooted up to rest against the head of the bed; my body sore, but not badly damaged.

“What happened? I remember running inside a burning building...and...smoke…” I squinted at my sheets as I tried to remember. The memory of charred ginger locks rushed back to me, and my hands flew over my mouth to hold back a gasp. “A..Aika…”

“H..hey...who is Aika..?” Amajiki had returned to my bedside; still red in the face but looking concerned.

“Th..there was a young girl...an eleven year old...I...I knew her...and...I couldn't…” My face was becoming wet, and completely ignoring the boy’s fear of sudden contact, I threw my arms around him and buried my face into his neck. “Th...there was so m..much d..death..!” Surprisingly, only after a few moments of awkward, hovering hands, Amajiki held me close. He patted my back a little stiffly, but the gentle shushing he blew from his lips comforted me more than I could have hoped for in that moment.

“It's..okay...let it out…” He murmured; his eyes shifting to the door as our plump boss ambled in. Fatgum immediately discarded his tray of what would likely be an entire week's worth of cafeteria stock on the nearby bench and toddled over to my bed; Amajiki handing me over so the pro could lift me into his arms like a small, defenseless child.

“My little chickadee! It's alright! You're alright! You gave us a big scare, kiddo…” He rocked me against his rounded chest, and I clung to him as though he were an oversized carnival teddy bear.

“I..c..couldn't s..save anyone..!” I cried; trying to dry my eyes.

I've never felt so useless!

“What matters is that you tried! Heroes can't save everyone...and even though you should have called us, you displayed such bravery! I'm proud to call you my intern!” He placed me gently back down on the bed and went to sit beside me; quickly rethinking his decision as the bed almost catapulted me once he began to put a little weight down. There it was. That smile I had almost forgotten.

“Th..thanks, Gummy…” I sniffled; trying to keep my mouth stretched upwards.

“When you're feeling better, I need to ask you a few questions...then I can relay it to the police.” Fatgum said as he began to fix my hair; an endearing habit he had when it came to his two interns.

“I..I can't remember much…” I started slowly; smile faltering a little. “...Just...blue flames...and...people…” I was trying to push the images out of my mind, and Amajiki placed his hand gingerly over mine.

“I'm...really glad you sent us your location...otherwise…”

“Wait…” I blinked at my upperclassman in confusion. “...I...didn't send anything...I...passed out…”

I basically passed out in the middle of the inferno…didn't I..?

“You sure? We rushed straight there when you texted us...and you were unconscious on the boardwalk…” Fatgum stopped braiding my (H/C) hair and tilted his head; as much as he could without a neck, and I began chewing on the inside of my cheek.