SEVENTEEN: Clarify

I had expected to be burned.

I had expected some form of pain.

What I didn't expect, was a rough hand tugging me into a heated chest. I couldn't contain the squeak that decided to rise from my throat as Dabi's warm; almost hot hand ran through my hair. It wasn't at all gentle, but I definitely wasn't complaining.
"He'll be at the training camp...right?" He asked in a flat voice; the hand that had pulled me in slithering down his side to be wedged into his pocket.
"Don't hurt him..." I pleaded quietly; knowing full well why he had asked that question. I could feel his heart thundering in his chest, especially since my feline ears had appeared due to my initial panic.

"You thought I was gonna hurt you, huh?" He mumbled; stepping away and tilting his head. He wore a pissed off expression, and I immediately felt the guilt wash over me.
"N..no! Well, I mean, I just knew you were already mad because of almost burning the house down! A..and I..." I trailed off; not wanting to dig myself a deeper grave. "I didn't mean to react like that..." Sighing, Dabi stepped around me and wandered out the door; heading towards the kitchen, so I followed him like the little lost puppy I was.
"Glad to see you keep this stocked." He muttered as he reached up and raided my candy stash for the umpteenth time. Once he had gathered a handful of chocolate bars, along with some licorice whips, he went ahead and plonked himself down at the dining table. "What's in the bag?" He questioned; shoving almost half of a king-sized Mars Bar™ into his gob. I perked up instantly; along with my ears, and hurried over to grab the bag.

"I bought you a present!" I exclaimed, and I struggled not to laugh at Dabi's filled cheeks; akin to a foraging chipmunk, before he choked down his mouthful.
"Uh, you fucking what now..?" He looked genuinely puzzled, and I found it to be adorable.
"Yeah! A present! I don't know when your birthday is, but I thought you deserved something nice! That's why I texted you earlier!" Beaming, I yanked out the jacket and held it up in front of me. "Ta-da~!" It felt like an eternity as I waited for his reaction. His eyes widened, and his lips parted a little; like the words were stuck beneath his tongue. Slightly; barely visible to the naked eye, a tint of cherry dusted across his unmarred cheeks.

"You...spent money...on me..?" Standing up, he walked over to take a better look; the tips of his fingers brushing against mine as he took hold of it. My enthusiastic nodding made him quirk a brow, and I began to rock back and forth on me heels.
"Yup! Why wouldn't I? You deserve it! I mean, not for, like, killing and stuff, but for being so nice to me! Try it on!" He seemed frozen after I had finished speaking; or, rather, shouting, and he just stared at my bubbly self for a while before slowing sliding the jacket on over his arms. It was loose against his slender frame, but it suited him well.

I'd even say...s..sexy..?

The look on his face gave nothing away, and I waited impatiently for some kind of reaction; be it negative or positive.
"It...ain't half bad, Tenderfoot..." He mumbled as he fiddled with the sleeve. "I guess I should probably thank you..." Stiffening as he began to walk towards me, my second pair of ears twitched to attention. His hand curled to grasp the back of my head, and my (E/C) eyes widened as he began to lean down.

Holy mother of Midnight..! Is..is he..?!

My eyes fluttered closed when he got too close for eye contact not to be awkward, but instead of a kiss, I was met by a different warmth over my mouth. After a few confusing seconds, my lids lifted to see that Dabi's hand was between our lips; a blockade for what was, most definitely, his version of a kiss.
"Don't look so shocked. I told you, I don't...kiss..." He sighed as he moved back; his twice-kissed hand following. His other hand remained though; twining gently in my (H/C) hair. It felt like it belonged there, but I wasn't even sure if he meant to leave it there or not. Either way, it made me feel rather content.
"I...can respect that..." I murmured; leaning back into his touch. We just stood there for a while, enjoying the silence, before I had to go and mess it all up. "So...will you be my boyfriend..?"