SEVENTY EIGHT: Change

It had been a long time since I had been inside my home.

At least, it used to be my home.

Of course, nobody was home. They rarely were. Even Karma and Nagisa were nowhere to be seen, which meant that my parents were likely out of town, if not the country. It kind of hurt that they'd do that when their only daughter was missing.

The first thing I had done was place my note, sealed in an ivory envelope, upon the kitchen bench, and now I wasn't sure what to do next. There were plenty of my belongings I would have liked to take back with me, but there was no point. Where would I ever get to wear my favourite outfit again? What use would I ever have for my cute little animal figurines?

I knew my parents did love me. They just weren't the best at showing it. Their jobs were demanding, I understood that, but they had never really taken the time off when I needed them. When I had gotten hurt at the docks, in that blaze, they hadn't been there. My return from being 'kidnapped'? A brief reunion before they jetted off again.

Did I ever really belong here in the first place..?

Dabi was waiting for me nearby, a block or two away, just to play it safe. Not that coming back here was safe to begin with. I originally had insisted on coming by myself, but there was no stopping him from tagging along. When Dabi insisted, it was futile to argue.

Brushing my fingertips against the bannister of the stairs, I released a heavy sigh, closing my eyes and telling myself to get a hold of myself. The old life I had lived was dead and gone. There was no ressurecting it now, even if I wanted to.

Despite having the urge to wander upstairs, I chose to turn and walk away, heading to the back door so I wouldn't be spotted by any nosy neighbours on the street. The sunny weather outside didn't feel like it belonged, not with my current mood, but the warmth was comforting.

Using my quirk to transform into a simple tabby cat, I hopped the fence and left my old life behind, just like that. Again. Thankfully, for the final time. The only thing that mattered was that, going forward, I had Dabi. I had my new friends.

Padding along, unseen, I headed towards the arranged meeting place, where Dabi was waiting for me. The neighbourhood was quiet, for a Sunday afternoon, with only a handful of people wandering about. I had chosen the perfect time to give one final visit.

At least, that was what I had thought before I was plucked from the path by the scruff of my neck.

The side street I was carried to was even quieter, the buildings casting a shadow that hid both me and my captor rather well. Squirming and hissing against a chest, I attempted to claw myself loose, but my body turned rigid once they finally spoke up.
"It's you...right, (Y/N)..?"

When I finally took a moment to catch a glimpse of the person who had snatched me up, the overwhelming hue of red sent my heart straight up into my throat.

Why did it have to be you..?!

Kirishima's eyes were full of concern as he held me in his arms, brows furrowed, creasing that tiny scar above his right eye.
"I..I just want to talk to you...Please, (Y/N)...Just let me talk..."

I knew it was a bad idea. No matter how hard I tried to toss aside the people from my past, I still cared for them. His plea was choking out my heart strings. Caving, I squeezed my eyes shut and pushed away from him, deactivating my quirk, but staying a few feet away, on guard.

"Go ahead...Talk..." I had wanted to sound firm, but my voice had raised in pitch, both due to fear and upset. Every time I tried to leave for good, something like this had to happen, didn't it? Sign or not, I was going to stick to my guns.