FIFTY SEVEN: Snatch

"I'm going on a picnic and I'm taking apples, beer, cauliflower, donuts, eggs, fedoras, goat cheese, honey, icecubes, jolly ranchers, kale, lepracy, mustard, nunchucks, oranges, pumpernickel, quarters, radishes, squid, thin mints, umbilical chords, video games, wooly socks, xylophones, yams...and...uh...z..zabaglione?"

Mustard blinked at me, his eyes squinting as he tried to decipher what the hell just came out of my mouth.
"Z..Zabalagalion?" He attempted to repeat, nose scrunching. "The fuck is a-"
"He almost smited me! You saw it! I saw it! I'm calling my lawyer!" We both jumped as Twice's voice boomed out, and we spun to see the motley crew trudging towards the camp, dirty and beaten as usual. This time, however, a familiar face had rejoined.

"Dabi!" Knocking the young teenager flying, I scrambled to my feet, dashing over and flinging myself into those warm, marred arms. Dabi held me back, but it was strangely loose, and he seemed to be a little spaced out.
"You're better." He pointed out, his lazy grin not quite reaching his eyes as he ruffled my hair. Nodding, I chose to step back, but I decided to grab hold of his hand instead.

He flinched...

Toga plodded over to where we kept our dwindling supply of food, rummaging through it to pull out a small bag of potato chips.
"Ugh, breakfast, lunch and dinner is ready..." She announced sarcastically, popping the bag between her hands and taking her share. It was passed around throughout the group, the only people not partaking being Shigaraki and Dabi. The former moved away to his usual spot, but Dabi just stood there, staring at the ground with a tightened jaw.

"So, Dabs, how'd the test go? Think that potential recruit is really on our side?" Spinner queried, his mouth full as he turned to look in our direction.
"I already reported back to the doctor and Flake Shelton over there, so fuck off." My boyfriend's aggressive response threw us into an awkward silence. Sure, he was usually pretty short when he spoke to people, but this was something different.

Slowly, I released his hand, shifting so I could try to get a better look at his face.
"Hey, did something happen..?" I wanted him to be open and talk to me, to all of us, but I knew he wouldn't. That wasn't the type of person he was.
"No." Dabi muttered unsurprisingly, grabbing back my hand and beginning to tug me along, away from the group.
"Wear protection! There'll be no frick fracking in this household!" Twice shouted after us, but I was too focused on my ravonet to pay attention to him.

Something definitely went down...

Dabi didn't stop walking for an incredibly long time, but I didn't say a word about it. I just let him pull me along like a little tugboat until he stopped dead, shoulders rigid.
"Touya...are you o-"
"I want you to be completely honest with me, (Y/N)..." He cut me off, his words weighted down by something that shut me right up. "What would you do if I killed someone you care about?"

A good deal of panic began to rush through my system, but not as much as what would have only weeks before. Taking a deep breath, I focused on the back of his head.
"Y..you already know the answer to that...You killed Ta..Tamaki...and Ei..jiro...I asked you to kill them..." The words coming out of my mouth tasted like poison. I had tried not to think about them, and what I had asked Dabi to do, but it was inevitable.

"Do you seriously think I killed them..?" Dabi scoffed dryly, making me freeze up. "You were out of your goddamn mind. I fucked them up, but they lived." Without my consent, tears began to well in my eyes, though whether they were from relief or guilt I had no clue.
"But..but why? Tou, I thought you ha-"

"I asked you a question. The real you. What would you do if I killed someone you care about?" Dabi was growing more agitated, and I found myself loosening my returned grip on his hand whilst his became stronger. A small part of my didn't care, but the rest of my conscience was in a panic. Had he killed someone dear to me? Could I forgive him for that?