SEVENTY THREE: Beginning With L

"You look like a goth marshmallow."

"Yeah, you've mentioned that about twelve times already, Tenderfoot." Dabi sighed, shoving his gloved hands into the pockets of his puffy hoodie. He was covered, head to toe, including a medical mask and sunglasses. I wasn't much different, with my own hoodie, cap and mask as well. The woes of being wanted criminals.

"How much longer? Where are we even going?" We had managed to talk our way into time off. At least, that's what Dabi had told me, though part of me knew he had just left without a word. I, however, had the decency to let the original league members know we'd be away for a while.

The train carriage was almost completely empty, but I sat right up against his side, one leg over his lap.
"Not long now. The next stop." It had already been about five hours, and I was getting restless. The cityscape had long since passed us by, and now all I could see were trees and rolling fields, occasionally murmuring 'cow' whenever I spotted one.

"Hey, Touya...when this is over, can we move out to somewhere like this? Can we get sheep? I like sheep." Yawning, I threw my other leg over his lap, and he pulled the rest of me on, letting me rest my chin on his shoulder so I could watch the world pass us by.

"As long as we can get one of those dumb fainting goats." His answers had been kind of short since we had left. Not rude, just absent, as though he had something on his mind. I didn't pry, though. We had a week to talk about anything and everything, so whenever he was ready.

"I wanna bring Karma and Nagisa with us too...I miss them..." Another yawn, and I was completely out. The soft plush of Dabi's clothing, paired with the gentle rock of the train, sent me into a comfortable sleep, and I didn't wake for goodness knows how long. When I did, I was on Dabi's back, and we were surrounded by forestation.

Oops.

"I'm up...I'm up...The fudge..?" Rubbing at my eyes, I kind of sat up, nearly toppling backwards, right onto the suitcase he was wheeling behind us.
"Didn't wanna wake you. Just stay there, we're close anyway..." Dabi hummed, adjusting me so my heels weren't jabbing him in the groin.

"Close to where?" He didn't answer me, so I heaved a sigh, glancing around at the flora around us. "Fine then. Be like that. We'll pass the time with a game! I spy with my little eye...something beginning with L!"

At first I thought he was going to ignore me again, but eventually I felt him heave a long sigh.
"Is it leaves? Cuz all I see are leaves..." He guessed, and I shook me head proudly.
"Nope! That's too easy! Try again!" He peered around a little, nudging his head towards the suitcase.
"Luggage? I don't fucking know..."

"Wrong again! Do you give up? Want me to tell you?" His silence was confirmation in my books, so I leaned in and nuzzled into the side of his head, giggling happily. "Love of my life! You! Your turn!" I felt at ease. Like my old self again, just being able to relax and not worry for once.

"Ugh, you sap...Whatever. I spy with my little eye...something beginning with M." Scanning around with an eagle eye, I began spouting my guesses, each one being responded to with a negative buzzer sound.
"Waaah! I give up! What is it?"

Turning his head slightly, glasses long gone from his face, Dabi met my eyes.
"Idiot. It was idiot." Blinking back at him, I frowned, my cheeks puffing out just like the material of his jacket.
"That doesn't begin with M! Default point to me!"

Dabi released a short chuckle, which seemed to be the only positive reaction I had gotten out of him since our trip began.
"My idiot. No point for you, Tenderfoot." We continued playing for a while, our banter gentle and fun, until Dabi tensed beneath me. Looking up, I realised we had stopped out the front of a large, positively stunning house.