TWENTY EIGHT: It's Never Fair

***MANGA SPOILERS HERE ON IN***

"Seriously, I'm not even joking...I bet if you touched Nezu, you'd be able to turn into...uh...whatever he is!"

Neijire had never looked so serious before, and it was honestly the funniest thing I had ever seen. She continued to yammer on about how he's a mammal and not exactly human whilst Mirio and I tried our hardest not to wet out pants with laughter. Even Amajiki had a mildly amused; albeit wonky, smile on his face.

I was glad I got to hang out with them at school again, especially since I had been worried about my secret group of friends. I hadn't heard a word the day after Magne paid me a visit, and I was itching to get home so I could contact them without being found out. I'd honestly expected at least a text message from Dabi about the whole thing, or at least to say hi to me the night before, but nothing came.

"So, (Y/N), you've been checking your phone an awful lot today. You hardly had your eyes off it all of lunch! Waiting on a call?" Mirio was the one to break me out of my thoughts, and I quickly gave him a stiff shake of the head.
"N..not really! I...um...I just...uh..." Nejire grabbed my arm; squashing it against her generous bosom, and wiggled her eyebrows.
"Ooooh, does our little girly have a boyfwend?!" She cooed so loudly that even others walking the halls stopped to look at us, and I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks against my will. "Oh my god, you totally do! Who is he?! Or she?! What's their name?! How tall are they?! Do they have a cool quirk?! Do they like junk food too?! What's their star sign?! Are they-"

"N..Nejire...c..calm down..." Amakiji murmured a little louder than usual, and his eyes were firmly planted on the floor as we walked along. The second I saw his face I felt awful, but I had really dug myself a deep hole here.
"I...He's just a friend..." I mumbled; hating the fact that I was lying to my closest friends. "He doesn't go to this school...or any school...he's a little older..."
"Oh, so his charming adultiness has swept our little lady off her feet?! How romantic!"

Oh my giddy gosh, please stop! Now I know how Tamaki feels every day!

"Come on, Neji...Don't make her feel so uncomfortable!" Mirio gave her a playful bat and smiled at me. "If you don't wanna talk about it, it's fine! Besides, we're on a mission! To find the best soba and devour it!" He raised his fist in the air for dramatic effect, and it immediately caused our blue-haired pal to direct her attention to our quest for food instead. I was thankful, but I couldn't help but feel like he was also trying to stop her talking so Amajiki wouldn't have to deal with it.

Those two shared everything, so if Fatgum had been right about the whole crush thing, Mirio certainly wouldn't be out of the loop. As much as I wanted to go and get a meal with them, I was too worried about the league. I knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate and I'd just draw attention with my odd actions if I were to attend.

"H..hey...I just remembered I have to be home for the repairman this afternoon! Sorry, guys, I can't come today! Raincheck?!" I had already started running off by the time I finished my sentence, and they all looked rather baffled.

"Oh? Okay then...Bye, (Y/N)!" Nejire and Mirio called out to me, and Amajiki just gave me a small, weak wave, and it kind of hurt. I wanted to explain everything to him, but I just couldn't. If he were to find out, he'd be obligated to report it. I really was, too, but there was no way I would rat out Dabi and his comrades, even if it was going against everything I believed in.

I sprinted home as fast as I could, which gladly only took a half the time thanks for having the speed of a cheetah under my belt, but when I entered my supposedly empty house, my heart sank. Spinner was sitting on the floor; Karma and Nagisa sprawled lazily in his lap, and both Toga and Twice were pacing around the living room space. Dabi was nowhere in sight.