FORTY FIVE: Rivalry

***ALTERNATE POV***

"I know you're always an asshole...but what did those beans ever do to you?"

I winced as Dabi shot me a sharp, azure glare, throwing yet another can of off-brand baked beans into the cupboard.
"I don't remember asking you to help me." He muttered, finally relieving me by turning his head back over to the crate beside him. Returning my attention to my own box of non-perishables, I sighed.
"Believe me, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't been told to..."

I hope she's okay...

"You're like her damn puppy dog. It's gross." Dabi's voice was so bitter; much more than usual, and I squirmed atop my legs, shifting from kneeling to squatting.
"Yeah, well, so are you..." I grumbled, immediately regretting my decision when he lunged towards me, stopping only inches away, nearly causing me to fall flat on my ass.
"You aren't her boyfriend! What are you, like ten? Every time I've seen her lately she's had you tottering along behind her like some creepy shadow!"

He was seriously pissed, but I no longer felt entirely fearful. It was obvious what the problem was. He was insecure, and years of multiplayer gaming had my mouth more than prepared to tip him over into a state of pure fury, even if I didn't want to.

"I'm thirteen, so shut the fuck up. If I was older though, maybe she'd prefer me. At least I don't look like someone tried to Photoshop themselves into a leathery gimp suit and got tired half way through!" It took a lot more power than I thought it would take not to help when his palm ignited with blue flames, dangerously close to my masked face.

"You better quit fucking talking, unless you want me to boil your bitch-ass teenie-bopper face like an egg!" Teeth bared and eye twitching, Dabi was really ready for a fight. That should have been my cue to stop, but I was a kid. What did I know?
"Uh-uh-uh...Don't you remember what (Y/N) said? You can't be mean to me!" I tutted in my most innocent voice, already beginning to sweat.

I soon realised that I had made a big mistake, especially when Dabi's two-toned lips twitched upwards into a wonky, kind of extremely terrifying smirk.
"Sure I do. She said she'd bite me. It'll make for some sweet foreplay.  " My ears hadn't needed to hear that, nor did my imagination need to have the gall to picture something like that happening between the two of them.

"Oh ew! Gross! Don't talk about her like..!" I gagged, shoving his now flameless hand away. "(Y/N) isn't like that! She's too soft and sweet for that sicko porny shit!" I would have been lying to myself if I had said I hadn't had vague flashes of similar scenarios with the girl, but I always felt disgusting afterwards. She was family to me, not somebody I could ever do sexy stuff with.

Dabi scoffed, climbing to his feet, which I mimicked, still standing much shorter than him as he cracked his neck.
"Sure she is, kid." He clicked his tongue, glaring down his nose at me. "Just quit tailing her, otherwise I'll kill you. If you think I won't...you're much dumber than I thought. You've caused enough fucking trouble for her."

Trouble? When have I...Oh...

Of course. How could I have been so blind to it? It all made perfect sense now, as to why Dabi hated me so much. (Y/N) had sacrificed herself to the League to save me, and the way he saw things, I was the reason she was suffering.

"Do you really think I asked her to do that..? I told her not to! Even if it's shitty, what's done is done, so quit taking it out on me! She's my best friend, so you're gonna have to deal with that, you deep fried bag of deformed dicks!" Now I was equally as pissed, but my anger had nothing on Dabi's.