FORTY SIX: Morals vs Instinct

***(Y/N POV***

FUCK.

My hind legs kicked and clawed against the bank of the bog I had stumped upon; or rather into, the thick, gooey contents clinging to my fur like glue. As my paws failed over and over again to gain any traction to pull myself up, I decided it was time for a breather, disabling my quirk and using my real hands to drag myself out of the muck.

It had already been six days since I had ventured out to locate the communication device, and that was the only instance where I had reverted back to my true form. I hadn't eaten since leaving, and the only water sources I had come across so far had been murky and riddled with unsuccessful mosquito larvae from the warmer months prior.

"Ugh..." I cringed as I began to scrub and wipe the excess muck from my body with my hands, flinging it away. "...this is bullshit..!" The only good that had come from the mission had been the new creatures I had managed to find for my quirk. A tanuki, a sable and some strange species of water shrew that even I didn't know the name of. Nothing particularly useful, but they were something.

There had been multiple instances over the course of the day when I had been positive I had smelled the scent Kurogiri had provided me with. A cocktail of chemicals and copper, but each time I had lost the trail. It didn't help that I was starving. Each animal I came close to made my guts churn and rumble, and it took basically all of the humanity left in me to keep myself from having them as a meal.

I didn't stay as a human for long. In no time I was back to it, another few hours passing with no luck, and the sun eventually began to set. I found myself sticking to a particular scent trail, but it wasn't what I was meant to be tracking. As it grew stronger, I lowered myself in the taller grass, my sharp, (E/C) sights falling upon what I had been following for a good half hour.

The serow calf was bow legged and scrawny, hobbling around without any sense of danger. The predatory instincts of my quirk kicked in, and I began to stalk closer. The mother was nowhere in sight, and from the look of the pathetic creature it wouldn't have shocked me if it had been abandoned.

It's just gonna die anyway...and I'm so hungry...It'll be so easy...

I wasn't sure where along the line my voice of reason had become a mere whisper in the back of my mind, but I was beyond caring. The only two things on my mind were carrying out my orders and filling my stomach.

Closer and closer, the orange hues of the late afternoon sky filtered down through the thinning canopy, highlighting what I considered my prey. The whiskers protruding from my muzzle vibrated with each step it took, and I could feel myself salivating at the thought of fresh meat.

Even if it notices me, there's no way a gangly calf like that could outrun me...All I need to do it bite it once...Bite it...Bite it..!

A chill ran down my spine, and it felt like something was physically trying to hold me back, but my new mindset was superior. It blew every other shred of my honest self away the moment that autumn leaf crunched beneath my paw, and the calf's head whipped around, almond eyes wide and alert.

Everything moved far too quickly. The bovidae didn't even have the chance to make a break for it before my greater mass was on top of it, jaws set to bite down. That was my problem. They wouldn't close and finish it off.

It's a baby...

It's food!

It has a mother...

It's neck will snap so easily!

I can't do this...

Do it!