THIRTY TWO: What Did You Do?

"What do you mean no?!"

My knees were icy as I knelt down in front of Kurogiri, my hands clasped together.
"I must apologise, Miss (Y/N)...I understand that you wish to assist Young Mr. Mustard, but it is simply too much of a risk for us to take at the current time. We already put so much on the line setting foot out of the headquarters..." The misty man sighed, reaching down and placing a hand on my shoulder.

But...I..I promised...

"I..I know it's a risk...but...he's out of Tartarus! This could be our only chance! What if he gets hurt again..? Or...or killed?!" I was desperate. I had been lucky enough to stop by the League headquarters whilst Dabi was out, which meant it was the perfect chance to beg for their aid, but it wasn't going at all to plan.
"I'm very sorry, Miss. (Y/N), but it just isn't logi-"

"What's the kid whinging about, Kurogiri? I could hear her from my room..." We both startled a little, turning to watch Shigaraki amble through the doorway. His fingernails were, as usual, assaulting the flesh of his neck as he glared at me through Father.

"She has requested we assist her in rescuing our captured Vanguard Action Squad member, Mustard. I have already explained to her that it would be too careless to execute such a rescue." Kurogiri explained, stepping aside as the powderette moved to stand before me.

"Tch, why would we put anything on the line for a failure..?"

A...failure..?

"He's not a failure!" My (E/C) eyes were tearing up, but I didn't care if they saw me cry. They had before, and I'm sure they would again in the future. "Please, Tomura, I'm begging you! He's just a kid! He won't survive in there!" I knew I was just pissing him off. His irritation was obvious as I stared into carnelian eyes through the cracks of decaying fingers.

I have no other choice...

"I..I'll...I'll work for you..." I whispered in a voice so meek that I didn't even recognise it as my own. "...I'll join the league and take orders from you...if you can just do this for Hisoka..." Every fibre of my being screamed out as I felt two coarse, leathery fingers pinch down on my chin, and Shigaraki tilted my head so far back that I thought my neck would snap.

"You'd throw your entire future away for that insignificant piece of shit..?" He almost laughed; a rasping, crackle sound that chilled me to the core. "My my...what would your burnt little bad boy think of that?"

He'll kill me...but...

"...I mean it...E..even if it's the last h..heroic deed I ever do...I'm fine with that...T...Dabi has no say in the matter..." As terrifying as it was, I maintained eye contact with the young man. The scarring on my torso tingled in remembrance of what he was capable of, but it didn't matter. I only had one goal in mind.

"Kurogiri..." Shigaraki leaned down; his face dangerously close to mine, and smirked deviously. I could almost hear his skin cracking as it creased.
"Yes, Shigaraki Tomura?"

"...Go get the little brat..."

--------------------------------------------

I should have been a broken wreck after selling my soul to the devil himself, but when I watched as Toga; disguised as some simple civilian using her quirk, carrying Mustard through the warp gate, all I could feel was relief.

"Hisoka..!" My eyes sprung a leak as I rushed over, taking him off the stealthy girl's hands, even though I struggled with his weight.
"(Y..Y/N)..." The boy peered up at me with wide, equally as wet eyes. "...Y..you actually did it.."

"Of course I did!" I smiled through my tears as I started to carry him off towards a room out the back; Toga deactivating her quirk and coming to help. "I promised, didn't I..?" He just held onto me as we made our way to where the old futon was until we laid him down.

One of his legs was in a cast, and he still had severe cuts and bruises littering his body, but he was going to be alright. I wasn't going to let anybody hurt him anymore.
"Wh..what did you do..?" His soft eyes met mine, and they were filled with such worry and guilt. "You...you made a deal with us...d..didn't you..?"

Reaching down, I combed my fingers through his knotted, brown locks and tried to hide the fear in my voice as I spoke.
"Doesn't matter...What does matter is that you're safe...I'll stay here with you until I have to go home, so get some rest..."

If I'm allowed to go home...

He was visibly sceptical about my answer, but he closed his eyes anyway, nestling into my palm as I let it slide down to his plastered cheek. It took no time at all before he was completely out to it, and his breathing seemed less laboured than it had earlier that day.

"So, you're one of us now, (N/N)..?" Toga was still hovering in the room, looking kind of startled at the revelation.
"Y..yeah...but it's fine...I mean...Hiso is okay now...and besides...it was only a matter of time if I wanted to keep being with Dabi..." I murmured quietly, careful not to disturb the sleeping teenager.

"I'm not gonna lie...I'm like, super happy I'll get to play with you more...but...you're gonna have a big, fat target on your back, now. For life! Plus, Dabi's totally gonna have a hissy fit and burn all our asses like Twice burns his toast every morning!" Toga giggled, but it was hollow. She was just as worried as Mustard had been.

"I know...but I'll make sure he knows it was my choice...He can't make decisions for me...and I'm sure it'll turn out fine...I'll be fine..." My words were also quite empty, but I couldn't help but lie to myself. Carefully, I slipped my hand away from the slumbering boy and stood up, brushing grit and dust from my knees.

"Hmm...if you say so..." Toga shrugged, but kept her feline eyes on me as we began to walk back out to the main area, where both Shigaraki and Kurogiri were still loitering. Everything felt so heavy, like I had the weight of something dark and dismal upon my shoulders.

"Kid..." The second Shigaraki called out to me, I felt a wave of nausea wash over me, but I swallowed it all back and replaced it with a friendly, token smile.
"Y..yes?" I turned to face him and rocked back and forth on my heels, despite the entire world feeling unsteady.
"You will continue to go to UA...and you'll bring me any and all information you gather...I also want details from that little agency you work for...the fat man...I want all of it, understood?"

I'm betraying my friends...I'm betraying Gummy...I'm betraying Tamaki...I'm betraying Eijiro...

"Y..you can count on me, Sir!" I raised my hand in a very stiff, unnatural salute before a warp gate opened right by my side, near startling me to death.
"Perfect...I want you to go home and get some of your shit together...You'll be spending plenty of days and nights here when I say the word..." He explained with an uncharacteristic lilt in his voice before slowly reaching up and removing the severed hand from his face, causing my stomach to twist and knot.

"...Oh...and welcome to my little family..."

.
.
.
.
***Oh shit, Dabi's gonna turn yo dumb ass into rump roast 🙊***