THIRTY NINE: Cracked

"This is crazy boring! I haven't stabbed a single hero yet! I even brought my good knife..." Toga huffed, tapping her shining blade against the wall. She continued to complain as I sat on the ground; knees tucked to my chest, trying to figure out what to do.

Why would he let me go like that..? Friends or not...he's a hero...and now...I'm a...

"...r not even paying attention to me, are you..?" I blinked out of my personal realm and realised Toga was pouting at me.
"Uh...sorry..." I murmured, grunting as I stood up and brushed myself off.
"I said that I'm gonna go cause some trou~ble! Well, when Twicey gets back, cuz I want a cloney clone!" Back to unbridled excitement, Toga began to bounce on the spot, and I hummed in thought.
"I might...go for a wander...Make sure Eri is okay..."

My girl...gotta protect...W..wait...no...I gotta focus...

"Awh, well if you insist! If you find her, swipe her up, 'kay? She'd be super useful!" The peppy blond maniac approached me and placed a hand on my shoulder, suddenly looking serious. "And (N/N)...don't overdo it. Big Sis Magne wouldn't want you to get yourself hurt...and neither would Dabi...or me."

Serious Toga is terrifying...but...

Smiling weakly, I covered her hand with mine and nodded once.
"I..I know...Thanks, Toga...Same goes for you..." Parting ways, I started off through the maze of hallways, keeping a sharp ear out for any sign of life. There was definitely chaos in different areas, but I didn't want to get wrapped up in that. I just wanted to find Eri and make sure she was okay.

Amajiki and Kirishima were in the back of my mind, as was Fat and the others, but I knew they were strong enough to handle their own. I didn't have to worry about their wellbeing. Against all better judgement, I shifted back into a wolverine, knowing that, if I were to come across the young girl, she would recognise me as her companion.

I have to do this quick and get out of here...If I stay in a form like this for much longer...

The claws I had grown familiar with over the past few days clicked and clacked as I wandered the dark, winding corridors, my lips curling back at even the slightest shadow. I wanted to get out of there, even if I had to suffer a punishment from Shigaraki. There was too much at stake by staying, yet Eri was all I could think about. That, and mauling whoever even dared to breathe near me.

The urge to just turn literal tail and run was overwhelming. I could smell blood, and there was a chilling voice inside my head; growing louder with each passing second, telling me to head towards it. If it hadn't been for the hoarse shouting I heard from around the corner, I likely would have succumbed.

"Eri..! Everything's...okay. You'll be fine! Eri..!" 

Is that..?

I overshot the corner as I raced to the sound, slamming hard into the wall. Barely giving myself enough time to recover, I was barreling towards the slumped, bleeding hero I was positive I knew. I just couldn't name them anymore.

Short blond hair was matted against his scalp, and the shredded red cape made my gums itch in want. If I hadn't had that dwindling grip on myself, I likely would have bitten him.

No...I know him...It's...uh...it's...Mirio! That's right...I think...He said Eri's name...She has to be close..! My girl...

Months ago, I would have stayed to make sure he was okay. He was definitely alive and at least a little conscious, but his eyes were shut tight, and his body looked ragged. I didn't have enough of myself left in me to look out for him.