TWENTY NINE: Cooking By The Book

I was the last one awake, and it was weird to actually wake up nestled in Dabi's arms. I was so used to him disappearing throughout the night, but I had wished it had happened under better circumstances.

Spinner and Twice had made themselves right at home; a dog each, sitting and watching television, and Toga was nowhere in sight. When I peered up with groggy eyes, I was met with a calm ocean hue.
"About time you woke up. I can't feel my legs." Dabi mumbled in slight agitation. Ignoring him, I just snuggled closer into his chest and sighed.

If they're still here...that means it wasn't a nightmare...Magne is...

"What time is it..?" I asked with a yawn, rubbing my eyes as I tried to focus.
"Like...ten, or someth'n..." Spinner called out from from his place on the floor, and I nearly cracked Dabi right in the throat with a flyaway elbow as I scrambled to my feet.
"WHAT?! I'M GONNA BE SO LATE FOR SCHOOL!" I shrieked in panic, though my body was still too tired to kick into rush mode.

"Chill out, Tenderfoot...I got Shank Skank to sort it out. You've got a day off, so quit it..." Dabi proceeded to stretch out in the recliner and rested his arms behind his head. I relaxed immediately; relieved that I didn't have to put on a cheery mask for my friends and classmates.
"Oh...Thanks..." I sighed before quirking a brow. "Where is Toga, anyway?"

"Kitchen..." Spinner jumped in again without taking his eyes off the TV set. "...I wouldn't go in there if I were you."

Oh my stars, I have a yandere loose in my house..!

"Um...Yeah, I'm definitely going in there..." I announced; drawing out my words, before Dabi coughed, which grabbed my attention.
"I'd listen to the overgrown gecko, sweet-cheeks..." There was a kind of warning in his eyes, but of course I didn't heed it. As I started off, Twice nearly bent over backwards; his mask rolled up to the bridge of his nose.
"Another terrible decision made by the kid! Can you pretty please get me a glass of cereal water?"

My mind was buzzing as I left the room, leaving both Dabi and Spinner to brutally taunt the split-brained man about his unique name for milk. I was expecting the worst; scorched cabinets and countertops, food splattered everywhere, or, the most concerning, a fresh corpse hacked to bits on the linoleum.

When I entered the room, I wasn't quite sure if I was relieved or not.

Shigaraki Tomura was sitting at the dining table with the paper pinched almost delicately between four fingers either side. Kurogiri was preparing some kind of hearty breakfast by the stove, and Toga was bopping excitedly beside him, wearing my mother's bright orange apron.

"Good morning, Ms. (Y/N). I apologise for our intrusion, but we were rather concerned when our comrades never returned last night. I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of making use of your kitchen?" As usual, Kurogiri greeted me with the utmost respect, and I kind of just gave him an awkward, wonky grin and a thumbs up.

"That's...um...fine...Thank you..?" I could feel sweat beading on my brow as my eyes returned to Shigaraki; fatherless, who had lowered his paper; my paper, just enough so he could stare into the depths of my quaking soul.

Be cool, be chill, be civil...

"I assume you heard that Magne kicked the bucket, then?" He asked rather bluntly, and I tried to keep myself composed. Nodding, I cautiously moved to take the seat at the furthest end of the table.
"Y..yeah...I'm sorry..." I murmured quietly, my hands just fidgeting atop the wooden surface as I tried to ignore the painful itch on the center of my torso. Right where I had his hand print embedded for life.

"Mmm...Shame, really...she had so much potential..." I was about to lose my cool, which was unheard of for me when I hadn't overstayed my welcome in predatory form, but it all washed away with the continuation of his words. "...you know, as a person...She deserved to live to see the moment we refresh this putrid society..."