TWENTY FOUR: Familiar

A week had passed since the symbol of peace was lost, and a week since I had last seen Dabi. After spending two days in the hospital; refusing visitors, I was finally released and sent home with nothing more than a prescription for some strange-smelling ointment for the marred, stinging mark on my body. Amajiki and Fatgum were the only two people I would let into my house, but only because they made me feel calm. Fat would bring bag-loads of treats, and Amajiki would just sit quietly by my side. Kirishima continued to stop by, but I seldom let him stay long. I cared for him greatly, but he was too protective. He sounded like that damn otome game; asking if I'd eaten or slept enough. The only thing on my mind was Dabi, and it made me feel nauseous. I didn't know if he was even alive because nobody had contacted me.

It was my final day off school, and I decided that, instead of moping around the house, I would go out and pick up some groceries. It was rather busy outside, but being out in the air was nice. A good change from being cramped up in my room watching Kamisama Kiss for the fifteenth time in a row. I hadn't even dared to use my quirk since the Kamino incident; the mere thought making me shudder. The doctors had suggested that I take a break from heroics for a while, but that just made me feel worse. It was like I was stuck in between; a limbo, between good and bad.

This is doing my head in..! I just gotta...not worry about it!

Often, I would pump myself up in my thoughts, but this time it didn't exactly do the trick. I attempted to take my mind off things by turning my attention to the window of one of my favourite bakeries. Cakes and pastries sat upon polished golden racks; each one looking flawless. Apart from one, lone bundt cake. It was a little deformed, and it looked like it had been under-cooked; definitely baked by one of the apprentices and only put in the viewing window to up their confidence. I sighed as my eyes trailed across its sunken top.

Mood...

"(N/N)!" I squealed in surprise as something, or rather, someone, leapt upon my back and squeezed me tight. The voice was familiar, but the face I was seeing in the reflection of the window wasn't.
"Uh...h..hey! How's it going...umm..?" I picked my brain for her name; a round, cherub face with long, ebony hair tied back into two curled pigtails. It was her eyes though; a cat-like topaz that made her so awfully familiar. The mysterious girl puffed her cheeks out and clung harder; making me wheeze.
"Silly, (N/N)! Don't even recognise your best friend!" She moved her lips towards my warm and giggled quietly. "Hi~mi~ko!"
"T..Toga..?!" I spluttered in a hushed shout when she finally released me, and I spun around to sweep her up in my own constricting embrace. "I'm so glad you're okay! I was so worried!" Toga simply laughed as I swung her around, and she beamed that bright, somewhat psychotic smile of hers.
"Never been caught before, so why start now?" She chuckled; grabbing my hand. "Big Sis Magne is at the park! C'mon!" Without even letting me respond, she sped off with me in tow. I was concerned about them being out in public like this, but I was also incredibly relieved. Villains or not, I held them dear.

When we reached said park, I spotted Magne immediately. She was bidding farewell to some rather broad woman with blond pigtails before turning around and squealing loudly.
"OH MY GOSH, IS THAT MY SWEET LITTLE KITTY CAT?!" At least I had time to brace myself before I was swept up in a bone-crushing hug. My feet weren't touching the ground, but I held her back as tightly as I could. It only really just dawned on me how much I had missed them.
"I'm so glad you're alright! When I saw you were unconscious I..." I trailed off as she placed me down; smoothing my stray strands of (H/C).
"Nothing to worry about, sugar. I may look like a delicate flower, but I'm tough." She flexed a little before ushering me to walk alongside her; Toga moving beside me. "I'm so sorry for what that awful little man did to you...Are you alright?" My hand traced over where the dark, ugly scar blemished my skin beneath my shirt, but I smiled at her nonetheless.
"Just a little scar...No biggie!" I giggled as Toga linked her arm with mine, I peered up at the copper-haired woman to the other side. "Is...Dabi alright..?"