SIXTY SEVEN: Guilt

"This is why I'm against children training children..."

Recovery Girl muttered to herself between smooches as she tended to my shoulder blades. This was our fourth visit in just over a week, and I could totally understand why she was getting sick of it.
"A bit harsh, RG..." Hawks mumbled, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat, directing his gaze to the anatomy posters on the wall. "At least it seems to be getting better. Went from complete tearing to minor real quick!"

Our first attempt hadn't been much different from when I had discovered the new addition to my quirk, and I was honestly extremely lucky that the pro had been fast enough to catch me. It had been embarrassing, especially in front of the others, but we were definitely improving.

The pain had eased, and I was starting to be able to fly, to a degree. Tokoyami had compared me to a fawn finding it's legs, and I totally understood. All I could do was put in the time and effort.
"I'm really sorry. We'll try to not let it happen again." I apologised, trailing off into a yawn. That was always the case when it came to her healings. All the energy was sapped.

"I certainly hope so. You're getting as bad as the first years..." The small woman replied, scooting back on her wheelie chair and folding her arms. "I also hope you won't let this feather brain drop you again. Hawks, really. That's just irresponsible." Having spent a lot of my time with Hawks, I was used to seeing him pout, but I always ended up thinking the same thing. He looked like a guilty toddler.

What else do you feel guilty about, hmm?

"Anyway, thanks for the patch up, RG! Come on, kiddo, let's go get a well deserved snack! My treat!" I yelped as I was lifted from the infirmary bed by a swarm of feathers, stumbling once they set me down by his side. Bidding my own, more polite farewell, I followed him outside, where he turned and gave me a bright smile. "So, I lied about the food, but I have something even better planned! Wanna know?"

Skeptical, but also curious, I nodded slowly, squinting from the change of lighting.
"What? Wanna go slay another hero?" My own snark shocked me, just as it did him. His expression dropped for a split second, feathers ruffling slightly.
"And they call Shoto half and half..." He chuckled awkwardly, choosing to ruffle my hair so it fell into my eyes. "No, actually, I was going to offer to take you for a quick visit with your boo...but if you're gonna have that kind of attitude..."

Instantly, my demeanor did a one eighty, and I grabbed hold of the collar of his coat, eyes wide and pleading.
"I'm sorry! Look, n..no attitude! Please take me! Pretty please with the eleven secret herbs and spices on top?!" Snorting at my begging, Hawks placed his hand on my head again, but this time he didn't mess up my (H/C) hair.

"Alright, alright! It won't be for long, though, and not for another couple of hours. I'll drop you back to school so you can get ready, yeah?" Nodding almost aggressively, I activated my quirk, morphing down into a rat and scaling the hero, making myself comfortable on his shoulder. We had quickly discovered it was easier for both of us. He wouldn't have so much weight to carry, and I wouldn't have to have his hands all over me.

I finally get to see Touya!

Once we were in the air, Hawks cleared his throat, kind of nudging me with the cup of his headphones.
"I still don't get it, kid. You really don't seem like a villain. Like, I get the thing about fighting for a perfect world...but you're not in it for that, are you?" His voice had turned serious, which was knew to me. The tone was too off, or rather, it fit him much more than his usual, happy go lucky self. "Are you just doing it because you're into Dabi? Not judging, or anything, but it's hard to wrap my head around. Squeak once for yes, twice for no."