THIRTY SIX: Pet

The fabric of my shirt was twisted tight between my hands as I followed Overhaul down the dark corridor, keeping a safe distance between us. When he had mentioned children, I immediately realised who he meant, and I wasn't sure if I was ready to see a little girl in horrible condition. Not without wanting to break her out of there immediately and putting both missions in jeopardy.

Coming to a stop in front of a door, Overhaul's fingertips lightly grazed the handle as he turned to meet my eyes.
"I require you to watch over a very important person. Keep her entertained, and keep her in check. None of my men have been capable of succeeding in this." He explained, each word making me all the more uncomfortable.
"I'll...d..do my best, Mr. Overhaul, Sir..." I replied in a slight stammer, holding my breath as he took a step closer, abandoning the door to lean down into my personal space.

"Tell me...do I intimidate you?" He questioned, and the tone of his voice was far too light. Too causal. It sent a chill to the core of my body, knowing exactly what he was capable of.
"V..very much..." I admitted truthfully, hoping that was the right answer. A glimmer of light made his golden irises almost glow for a moment, and I had to gulp back the urge to run. I wanted to run far, far away, to Dabi, to my friends. It was in that moment I knew that I never could have become a real hero.

"You seem to be smart, for a mere child..." Overhaul hummed, and everything around us seemed to be put on pause as his fingers came to meet my chin, tilting my head up and forcing me to maintain dreaded eye contact. "I can see the hatred in your eyes...No doubt it is directed at me, for disposing of your subordinate. Do you feel like killing me, (N/N)?"

I..I can't move..! I..is this part of his quirk?! No...this isn't a quirk...I'm just paralysed with fear..!

Not receiving a response, Overhaul clicked his tongue, squeezing my jaw tighter, to the point of eliciting a pained squeak from me.
"I can't blame you...but I hope you realise that you, nor your little league, are capable of such a thing. You're all expendable." It was almost impossible not to believe him. I had never met someone who had such an oppressing aura before, not even Shigaraki.

"I..I know..." I whispered, still keeping my breath locked away when he finally released my face.
"Good. I'm going to assume that your quirk allows you to shapeshift into animals, so I require you to become something fluffy. The girl seems to be partial to things with copious amounts of fur, as disgusting as that is...On top of this, whatever you choose needs to be capable of both attack and defense. Eri has an important role in this organisation, and she must be protected from all harm." Overhaul took a step back and folded his arms. "Presuming you have control over your mental state when using this quirk of yours, I would suggest a beast with high levels of both strength and aggression."

This...is what I wanted to avoid...but...

"R..right..." Swallowing back my fears and better judgement, I took a deep breath and activated my quirk. The animal I chose was one I never wished to use, but I had to satisfy the man before me. If I couldn't do that, I was toast.

"A Wolverine

"A Wolverine..?" Overhaul paused, looking over my fuzzy new form with a peculiar curiosity. "Small, yet functional. Not a poor choice at all." He turned back to the door, and I crinkled my new nose.

This is bad...The nature of a Wolverine is going to lessen my limit...

"From the moment I open this door, you are not permitted to deactivate your quirk. You are to act as both her guardian and pet, understood? Perhaps it would make her...happier..." Overhaul's body language was different now. I wasn't sure if I would have been able to pick up on it as a human, but like this, it was apparent. He seemed almost...guilty...

Just like I thought...Nobody can be all bad...

"Eri, are you awake?" Overhaul called out as he opened the door. The room was dark, but when I padded up beside him, I could see a small child curled up on an oversized bed. Unopened toys were stacked in every corner, and the girl stank of terror. It hurt to see her spring up and press herself as closely as she could to the headboard.
"P..please not a..again..!" She pleaded, scrunching her eyes shut and covering her face with thin, bandaged arms.

No...I was wrong...This man is a monster.

"I don't need you for that right now. I come with a new gift for you. This is one I'm sure you will enjoy." Overhaul looked down to me and motioned for me to enter the room, and I did as I was told. Not because he wanted me to do it, but because I wanted to immediately comfort the little girl. Eri peeked out from behind her shield, and her crimson eyes grew wide at the sight of me standing at the foot of her bed.
"Wh..what is it..?"

"A pet. Consider yourself incredibly lucky, as this shall be the only creature I will ever let into this place. She is a Wolverine, and she is highly trained. Name her what you wish, and allow her to entertain you." Without another word, or even a goodbye, Overhaul left the room, locking it when he was on the other side. I remained still, allowing Eri to investigate me at her own pace. She looked ragged and broken, but there was still a glint of childish wonder in her bloodshot eyes.

"I've...never seen a Wooferine before..." She whispered, crawling a little closer and reaching out her hand. It stopped a decent way away from my muzzle, and she gulped loudly. "A..are you a good girl..?"

Oh dear god, I'm gonna be the best girl ever for you, you poor little baby!

Gently, I stepped forward and nudged my nose into her palm, trying my absolute best to make the guttural grunts I could produce seem affectionate. Her fingers were like ice, and I gave them a friendly lick to show that I would do her no harm. After rubbing my muzzle, Eri pulled back and patted the blankets in front of her after scooting back.
"Wanna...come up here?" With a slight snort, I jumped up and laid down before her, placing my head on my clawed paws; making sure they were semi-retracted.

This is no place for an innocent little girl...

Seeming much less nervous, her hands began to brush along my thick brown coat, and before I knew it, her head was resting against my fluffy stomach.
"I'm gonna call you...Nozomi! I heard it in a story once...I think it means hope..." She murmured, nuzzling close. "You're really warm, Nozomi...I love you already..."

My heart hurts...

I curled around her body, giving her tiny licks upon her wounded arms, showing her I was going to be there for her. Overhaul said I was to guard Eri, but he never once said that he and his lackeys were any exception. Whatever Dabi thought didn't matter anymore. If I had to give my life to see this through, I'd be more than happy to do so.

"I hope Mr. Chisaki wasn't mean to you...He doesn't seem to like me much, either..." Eri started, letting out a squeaky yawn. "I thought he was coming to take me away again...to make me hurt and disappear...then make me come back again...He does that a lot...but it might not be so lonely...with you here..." Her voice got quieter and quieter before it faded out conpletely, and I rested my chin upon her side to feel the calming rise and fall of her breath whilst she slept.

I'm gonna look after you now, Eri...Until Sir. Nighteye comes and takes you away from this awful place...

.
.
.
.
.
***Fuck I love this little girl. Sorry for a short chapter, my brain is in Seven Deadly Sins mode***