Ch. 39 : Realization

Sorry for the late update. Love y'all. It's been crazy busy months I barely get any sleep! Enjoy. X.
_______________________________

He stopped a few feet away from us.

The deers were frozen at first and stared wide eye at him in fear and curiosity.

The buck drew closer to him as he
"Hello beautiful, long time no see."

"Oh my god....Nico?", I gasped as realization of who the whistler was.

"The one and only.", he winked as he casually placed his hand in his pocket.

"What are you doing here?", I asked as I gently rubbed the fawn's head who decided it was not in any danger.

"You look different.", he stated as he stepped in front of me and held out his hand.

"Different?"

I grabbed a hold of his extended hand as he pulled me up with ease.

"Different is good.", he smiled shyly as his stare sent a shiver down my back.

"Nico.", I whispered as a gentle breeze swirled around us, creating an untouched bubble.

He pulled me into a delightful and familiar embrace that made me feel safe and oddly complete.

"Esme.", he whispered in my ear, "I missed you so much."

My heart thumped at the sound of his voice and felt overjoyed at his words.

"Oh Nico. I missed you too.", I mumbled as I buried my face in his chest as tears filled my eyes at the amount of truth that my words carried.

He kissed the top of my head and held me close to his heart for a few more minutes.

"Everyone's been worried about you girls.", he said as he pulled away and looked at me with sorrowful eyes.

"Everyone?", I asked confused.

"Yeah. Even Charlie.", he said slightly annoyed.

"Why would he care?", I said turning around to watch the deers eat.

"Why wouldn't he?"

"Oh come on! You know exactly why!", I snapped bitterly.

"No. I don't.", Nico replied irritated.

"Yes, you do! You were there!", I yelled as I started to walk down the road away from the gentle deer herd.

"Are you talking about the night when you-"

"Yes, that night.", I said cutting him off so that he doesn't trigger a flashback.

"For Pete sake's! That woman meant nothing to him!"

"Sure did not look like she meant nothing to him.", I replied softly.

"She was very beautiful.", I mumbled as a tear escaped my eyelid.

Nico stopped and gently turned me around so that I may face him. He pulled up my chin and whipped the tear away with his thumb.

"That may be true but no one can outshine your beauty. You are like a sun so radiant and true.", he whispered as he stared fondly at me.

"You are my sunshine. My only sunshine. You make me happy when the skies are grey.", he sang as he held me once again.

"Thank you", I sniffled as I pulled away.

"Anytime, sunshine.", he winked as held out his palm to me.

I took hold of it and laced our fingers together.

"Let's get you home, sunshine.", he smiled.

I froze in place and stared at him in fear.

Nico took noticed of the pure agonizing fear that filled me.

"Hey. It's okay. I'm not going to take you to him. I'm just taking you to your family. He will never know I found you.", he said reassuringly.

"You promise?", I asked weakly.

His eyes pierced mine and sincerely revealed the truth to his words.

"I promise."

"Thank you.", I mumbled as I leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He looked surprised and then delighted as if I gave him the greatest present ever.

"Well, sunshine. We better start walking you home if we want you to get there before night falls.", he said energized.

I laughed and leaned my head against his shoulder as we started to walk down the road side by side.

"Did you know Texas is one of my favorite states?", Nico asked.

"Really? Why?", I asked curiously.

"Because it's one of the most beautiful and also my sunshine lives there.", he replied whole heartily and winked at me causing me to blush uncontrollably.