Chapter 3

After the final bell rang, I walked quickly down the hall and out the front doors. I looked around, searching for Charlotte. I saw her walking about 20 feet in front of me on her phone. I would notice that auburn hair anywhere.

"Charlotte!" My voice rang through the air. She jumped a bit and turned around, smiling and rolling her eyes when she saw me. "You walking home?" I say, catching up to her.

"Yeah, I figured that since it was nice out I would. I mean, I don't live that far."

"Same, whenever it's nice out I like to walk. I live in that neighborhood right over the hill over there."

"Hey, so do I!" Her eyes kinda lit up, making me smile as we begin walking.

"So Charlotte," I began, "tell me about yourself."

"Well, I told you a lot at lunch."

"Yeah but that's just the basic stuff. I want to know who Charlotte Williamson really is."

"Well, I was born and raised in Baltimore. Even though I lived in the city, I've always preferred the country. I have and older brother in college. I've never exactly had a close relationship with my parents. Sure I spend time with them and I can talk to them, but I'm just not as close to them as I think most people my age are. I can't put my phone down for more than 5 minutes, after all, I am seventeen. I don't really like wearing make up or dressing nice. But, I guess I'm really just your typical teenage girl."

"That's it?" I ask.

"Well I don't know what else to say."

"I want to know who you really are, what makes you you."

"I honestly have nothing else to say."

"I know you do, you just won't tell me." I look at her expectantly. Both of our smiles slowly fade. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have said that, because it feels like an eternity before she answers.

"Okay." She hesitates and takes a deep breath. I can tell by the expression on her face that talking about this is going to make her upset. "Well, honestly I'm nothing special. I've always been shy. I have friends, but only a few true friends I can actually trust. I've always been afraid of sharing my feelings. My friends are always off meeting new people, but it is just so hard for me to make friends. There have been so many times where the people that I thought were my best friends, hang out and don't even consider inviting me. To be honest, I've always believed that my friends would get boyfriends and I wouldn't have anyone to talk to like I used to." By this point, she looks like she might start crying. "And, to tell you the truth, I get so jealous of all the pretty, popular people because, even though they don't try to, they make me feel like shit sometimes. As long as I could remember, I've always been the girl that just sat there, watching instead of doing something. I'll try to change that but I just can't. All of my friends are go getters and I'm just me. But, for the first time in years, I finally started to feel like I fit in. But, now that I finally started to feel that confidence, I have to move here. It may sound really corny, but for the longest time, my biggest fear has been being forgotten and left behind. I finally started to get over that fear, but now, I have to start all over just because of a fucking job transfer." Charlotte stops walking and looks at me. Her face is sad, but for a second, she looks so angry and broken inside. I can see the tears in her eyes."That's who I really am."

I just stand there staring at her, my mouth agape. This girl just poured her heart out to me and I feel like shit for making her. "I'm so sorry Charlotte, I shouldn't have made you do that."

"Jack, you don't have to-"

"No," I cut her off. "You didn't want to tell me and I made you. I've only known you for a day and I acted like your life was my business. I shouldn't have done that. I made you upset and I'm so sorry."

She gave me a half smile, wiping the tears out of her eyes. "Jack, you don't have to apologize. I've been hiding those things for years and I think it's a good thing I finally got it off my chest. I don't care if I barely know you, I feel like I can trust you. I told you something I couldn't even tell my best friend because I knew she would lie to me and tell me that would never happen. Thank you, Jack, I really needed that." She gives me a hug, loosely wrapping her arms around my neck.

Even though I only met her earlier today, I feel like I've known Charlotte for a life time. She's not like the guys, or even Mahogany. I feel like I can trust her with any thing.

We talk about random things for the rest of the walk home. Charlotte starts telling a story about one of her friend's old boyfriends who used her to get to her sister.

When she's done telling the story, a random question slips off my tongue. "How many boyfriends have you had, Charlotte?"

I wanna slap myself in the face right after I say it. What the hell is wrong with me? Why can't I mind my own damn business? I look over at Charlotte expecting her to be upset, but instead, she's smiling and shaking her head.

"Wow you really can't mind your own business. But, if you must know, I have never had a boyfriend."

"What? You've got to be kidding me!" She shakes her head at me. Charlotte's an awesome girl, any guy would be lucky to have her.

"I just don't really fall for guys that easily. And, to tell you the truth, I just don't like the fact the if I did get a boyfriend, we would either get married or breakup, so..." she trails off.

We just walk the rest of the way home in a comfortable silence. A minute later, we get to Charlotte's house. I walk up to her front door with her. "See ya tomorrow Charlotte." I say turning around to go.

"Wait, Jack" she says, grabbing my arm. "I'm sorry if I sound kind of selfish when I say this, but I just need to be sure, ok?" I nod at her, waiting for whatever is coming next. The look in her eyes is serious and concerned. "Please whatever you do, don't try and ask me out or anything, alright?" I'm about to ask why, but she must've read my thoughts. "I just really don't need or want a boyfriend right now. And I'd much rather have you as a friend than a boyfriend. I need to have someone to talk to."

She stares at me for another moment before she goes inside. "See ya later, Jack." She says, closing her door behind her.

I don't know what to think of what just happened, but then it hits me.

"I won't have to worry about Charlotte falling for me." I think happily. I told myself I wouldn't fall for her, now I know she won't fall for me.

Both of our lives just got a whole lot simpler.