Chapter 49

Jack's POV:

Finally, I get to spend some time with Charlotte. I feel like I've barely seen her all week. On Monday, she had to work on her project with Bryan, so I didn't get to see her then. Yesterday, my mom surprised me by telling me that we were going over to my cousins house for dinner. Since we ended up staying until ten, I didn't get to see Charlotte then either.

Now, it's Wednesday. Charlotte had one hour after school to be with me before Bryan comes over to work on their project. That hour is quickly ticking away.

I sit on Charlotte's porch with my arm around her. Right now, we're just enjoying the weather outside. But, there is something that has been bothering me all day.

I've been trying to avoid having this conversation, but I know that I'm going to have to do it eventually. It's been over a week since I found out that Charlotte was lying to me about Tony. I had to find out from Sam that she actually does have classes with him. Every time I think about it, I feel like I'm overreacting. But, that's just what I do.

I take a deep breath as I prepare myself to speak.

"Charlotte, can we talk about something?" I ask. I guess that Charlotte senses something's wrong because she turns so that her body is facing me.

"What's wrong?" she asks.

"Do you remember how you told me that you didn't really have classes with Tony? And then when I asked you about him the other day, you said that to haven't even seen him in the past few weeks?"

I can see the guilt in Charlotte's eyes. She just slowly nods her head.

"Well, I found out from Sam that you do have a class with Tony. So you lied to me." I say. Honestly, the only reason I'm talking about this is because I'm not comfortable with the fact that Charlotte lied to me.

She doesn't say anything, so I continue. "Charlotte, I wanted to be sure that Tony stayed away from you. I thought that you were safe because you told me you were. When I found out that it wasn't the truth, I couldn't stand the fact that you lied to me. Why did you?"

After sitting in silence for a minute, she finally finds the right words to say. "Jack, I just didn't want you to worry. I felt like he was finally done tormenting me, so it wasn't worth you stressing over."

"Charlotte, even after you told me that you didn't have classes with him, he came after you again. It was to worth worrying about!" I'm a little angry now. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just am.

"Well, you weren't even my boyfriend at that point, so why does it matter that I lied to you over something so small?" I can tell that Charlotte is trying her best not to get mad at me, but it's easy to hear the irritation in her voice.

"It doesn't matter Charlotte! You still lied to me! And to me, it wasn't just some small lie!" I'm practically yelling by now.

"That's only because you overreact about everything!" Charlotte yells. She gets up and walks into the house with me trailing behind.

"You know, I would think that you would be a little more appreciative of the guy who saved you from Tony twice." I say.

She quickly turns around to face me. "This is also the same guy who got involved when I told him not to."

I know that she's talking about the fight that Tony and I had at the party. "So you just wanted me to stand there and watch while he abused you?" I snap.

"No, but you didn't have to go and break his nose either!"

"Why can't you just thank me instead of arguing?"