Chapter 21

Charlotte's POV:

"Hey Charlotte! Can you come down here?" My mom yells from the bottom if the stairs. I make my way down the stairs to where she is.

"Yeah?"

"Can you run to the store real quick and get some milk, sugar, and flour? I'm making a cake for your father's birthday tomorrow."

"No problem." I say. I'm already dressed in a t-shirt and jean shorts, so I just walk to the door and slip on some flip-flops. It's really warm outside for the middle of April.

I get in to my car and start driving. I turn up the radio and start singing along to This Is How We Roll by Florida Georgia Line. I've always liked country music, but not many people actually know that about me. I guess I just feel like people would judge me if they did. It's stupid, I know, but I've always been really self conscious about stuff like that.

In about ten minutes, I'm at the grocery store. I go grab the milk and am on my way to get the flour and suger when I hear someone call my name. I look around and see a girl I recognize from school. She has long blonde, straight hair and green eyes. She is very pretty. I think her name is Leah.

"Hey Charlotte, it's me Leah, from your English class."

"Hey Leah." Some people find it weird when stuff like this happens, but I kind of like it. It makes me feel more appreciated.

"So, you've been living here for a while now. How do you like it?"

"It's really nice. Everybody here is so friendly."

"Yeah, it's a nice town. So, I hear your dating Jack Gilinsky now."

"Well we only had our first date last night but yeah, we're dating."

"Well that's nice. Jack's a good guy. He actually used to have a crush on me."

"He did?" I'm a little surprised. But, Jack did say he's had a lot of girlfriends before.

"Yeah, but that's all the past now. He's probably over it. Sorry to waste your time, I just wanted to say hi."

"Oh you didn't waste my time. I'm not in a hurry. But it was nice seeing you."

"You too. See you in school on Monday." Leah says as she turns to walk away."

"See ya." Leah seems really nice. I could see us being friends in the future. But, it might be kind of awkward if Jack really did have a crush on her.

I grab the sugar and flour and head to the checkout, getting a bottle of Mountain Dew for myself. Soon enough, I'm back in the car on my way home.

Once I'm home, I go into the kitchen and give my mom the groceries. After that, I head to the living room to watch some TV. I change it to my recording of America's Got Talent and sit back, taking a sip of my Mountain Dew. I get about halfway through the show when I get a text from Jack.

Jack: Hey, we're all going over to Sam's house wanna come?

Me: Sure, now?

Jack: Yeah, I can stop by your house so we can walk there together in a few minutes

Me: Ok see ya then

I go back to the kitchen where my mom is working on the cake. "I'm going over to Sam's house."

"Okay, have fun." She's too concentrated on baking to care.

I walk outside just as Jack reaches my driveway. I smile when I see him and he smiles back. "Hey there, beautiful." He says.

I always blush whenever he compliments me, and it's kind of embarassing. "Hey."

"So, have you been up to today?" He asks, taking my hand in his.

"Not much. I just went to the store to pick up a few things for my mom. But, I saw a girl from school there and she stopped to say hi."

"Who was it?"

"Leah Hart."

Jack's face drops when I say her name. I guess he really did have a crush on her. But, I'd like to hear it from him.

"Ya know, Leah told me that you used to have a crush on her." I say.
Jack looks at me as if I just killed someone.

"That is a complete lie. I've never had a crush on her. Ask anybody."

I guess Leah was wrong. "But, you know Leah?"

"Yeah, but we're not friends or anything." He says. It's hard to tell how exactly he feels about Leah.

"Well, she seems really nice. I can see us being friends." Jack doesn't respond he just looks forward.

Sam lives a little farther down in our neighborhood, so it takes about five minutes for us to get there. I continue to talk to Jack until we get there.

"Ya know, I don't think you guys understand how much you all really mean to me." I say turning to face Jack. He looks at me confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I just never had friends like you guys. You all are so protective and I feel like I can tell you anything. It just means a lot to know you all are there for me." I say.

"Well, I'm glad you feel that way. We all love having you here, especially me. I honestly think that I've changed since you moved here."

"How so?"

"Well, I just feel like I'm more responsible and caring than I was before, and I'm glad."

Jack always knows what to say to make me smile. Even if he doesn't try to, it works. I stand up on my toes and kiss his cheek. "I'm glad, too."

We are now at in front of Sam's house so we go up and open the door. That's something else I love about the guys, they never knock when they hang out. They just go right in.

We go into the living room where Sam, Johnson, Matt, and Taylor are playing Call of Duty. Jack and I go and sit on the couch next to them.

Within the next few minutes, the everybody else is there and the guys finish up the game. "SUCK IT LOSERS!" Taylor screams as he takes the final kill, winning the match. These guys never fail to amuse me.