Chapter 38

Charlotte's POV:

I run into my house, slamming the door behind me. I want to just run somewhere and hide, but I can't. My body just won't allow me.

I lean against the front door as I try to wipe tears from my face, but they just keep coming. I slowly slide down to the floor so I'm curled up in a ball.

This was not what I wanted to happen. I did not want to see Jack today. The pain is still burning inside of me and there's no way to get it out. I know I just saw him last night, but it seems like it's been so much longer.

I want to cry. I want to scream. I want to punch a wall. I want to punch a person. Anything to make me feel better. But really, I know that none of that will help.

I hate Jack. I hate him for cheating on me. I hate him for lying to me. I hate him for making me act like this. But, then again, I can't hate him.

How can I hate someone I'm still in love with? As much as I want to hate him, I just can't. All that I can do is try to forget him, but I know that that won't happen.

I sit there for what seems like hours, crying. Good thing my parents aren't home. I would hate for them to see me like this.

I eventually get up and start to head upstairs, but the ringing of the doorbell stops me dead in my tracks.

I turn back towards the door and open it. Much to my dismay, it's Jack.

"What do you want?" I say. I think about slamming the door on him right now, but I think better of it.

"Charlotte, none of that stuff is true. It's all just-"

"No, Jack. I told you I don't want to hear it. Not now." I say. I can feel the tears stinging my eyes.

"But Charlotte, you don't-"

"Just stop Jack." I say as I close the door. But, I'm stopped by Jack pushing back on it.

"Please, Charlotte."

"Leave!" I yell at him. The tears are now heavy and I can feel myself about to lose it. He's obviously surprised by this and doesn't seem to get the message. "Just...go." I say, barely a whisper.

He hesitantly turns to leave. I watch him walk down my driveway before closing the door.

Jack's POV:

I walk down the road back to Johnson's house. I can't believe this is happening. This could really be the end of me and Charlotte.

I go inside and back down to the basement where the guys are waiting for me. As I open the door, they turn to me expectantly, awaiting an answer. I just shake my head and sit down beside Matt and Aaron.

"What are we gonna do now?" Aaron asks. Everyone turns to Johnson. He's always the one who comes up with the plans.

Johnson stands up and says, "I'm gonna go talk to her." He then turns and walks out the door, and nobody makes an attempt to stop him.

I can still feel the tears in my eyes as I try to wipe them away.

"Jack, it's gonna be alright." Matt says.

"I hope so..." I don't think any of the guys hear me, but I'm almost glad they don't.

Just then, the door opens and in walks the person that I really need to talk to for advice.

Hayes Grier.

Charlotte's POV:

I'm in my room, trying to forget everything that just happened, when the doorbell rings again. I know I should check to make sure it isn't Jack, but I'm too lazy to.

I go downstairs and open the door to see Johnson. I'm not mad at him or anything, I'm just not in the mood. "What?"

"Can we talk?" He asks. I open the door wider to let him in. He goes over to sit on the couch and I join him.

"Before I say anything, do you promise not to kick me out if you get mad?" The tone in his voice isn't too serious, but I know he is.

"I can't promise anything." He laughs slightly at this before speaking.

"Listen Charlotte. Everything that you thought Jack did never actually happened. Leah's been trying to get to Jack for the past few years, but he's always turned her down. That text that you read was completely out of context. Jack never cheated on you."

"And how do you know he's not lying?"

"Because he's my best friend, I know him."

"Well you thought he was cheating on me before and now you say he wasn't, so you obviously were wrong about something." I'm starting to get angry I get up and start to walk towards the stairs, hoping this will get Johnson to leave.

"Charlotte wait." He calls after me. I turn around to look at him. "Jack's in love with you, he would never do that to you."

"Did he tell you that?"

"Well, yeah."

"Well, I don't believe the shit that comes out of his mouth. I already fell for it once." I turn and start walking up the stairs.

"Why don't you believe me?" Johnson yells after me. It seems that he's lost his patience for me now. But, I keep walking. "Charlotte why won't you believe what everyone is telling you?"

"Because I can't!" I scream. "My whole life, people leave me because I'm not good enough! No matter how hard I try, I'm never good enough for people! Then, they lie to me, just making it worse!" The tears are back once again, but I'm quiet as I say the next part. "I don't expect Jack to be any different."

Johnson just stands there in shock. I guess he wasn't expecting me to say that. "Charlotte.... I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"It's fine, I wouldn't expect you to anyways." With that, I walk up to my room.

I hear Johnson leave through the front door as I throw myself on my bed. I really need someone to comfort me. But, every time someone does, I drive them away. That's me, screwing everything up as usual.

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

After about twenty minutes of this, I decide that I need to do something else. I'm not really in the mood to get up and be active, so I just turn the tv on. I spend the next three hours drowning out my sorrows in television.