Chapter 14

Jack's POV:
*One week later
Tonight's the night. We have the state championship game tonight. I'm really nervous. I may not be captain of the team, but for some reason, I feel like it's my responsibility for my team to win. I've been practicing nonstop for the past few days. Taylor, Matt and Carter keep trying to psych me out by telling me that if I practice too much, I'm going to suck in the actual game. But, I've decided to ignore them.
Most of the school is coming tonight, and I can't screw up. I've been trying to steer clear of distractions, but there's one thing that hasn't left my mind all week. Charlotte.
I've been trying to figure out my feelings. I know I said I was just going to ignore it for now, but I can't.
I think that I might actually be falling for Charlotte Williamson. The thought of it almost scares me because both of us just want to be friends, and judging by what Mahogany said, she probably doesn't feel the same way. So, I think it would be best if we stayed friends.
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that Charlotte has never had a boyfriend before. She's pretty, smart, and has an amazing personality. I'm so lucky to be able to call her my friend.
----------------
There's 40 seconds left on the clock. The score is 61- 62. We are down by one. We need to win this. We can't let our school down. The clock keeps ticking. 39, 38, 37...
I run back and forth down the court. Sam's dribbling the ball, and he passes it to me. I catch it and start dribbling to the hoop. Come on, Jack. Don't screw this up.
A defender gets in my way, and I search for an open pass. I see Johnson being covered by a defender. I make a risky decision. I throw the ball just right of the basket because there's no way I can make it in from here. Johnson knows exactly what I'm doing. We've practiced this drill a thousand times. As the ball nears the basket, Johnson jumps up, catches it, and dunks it in the hoop.
Just then, the buzzer goes off. The score is now 63-62. We won. We just won the state championships. I don't know how to react. All of that hard work paid of. I look around and see the guys coming towards me, Johnson, and Sam. They come over, hollering and cheering. Charlotte comes up to me and gives me a hug.
"I knew you could do it Jack."
Feeling Charlotte's arms around me makes me so happy. I can't help but smile. As she lets go, I feel myself lifted from the ground. I realize that the guys are carrying Johnson, Sam and I. We are carried out of the gym, cheering in victory.
----------------
Charlotte's POV:
I can't believe they won. I'm so proud of Jack, Jack, and Sam. It's because of them that they won. That teamwork at the end of the game got them up by one. I don't think I've ever been more proud of anyone in my life.
After the game, there's a huge victory party at Jack's house. After all, he is one of the best players on the team. Half the grade is going and it's going to be awesome. But, I'm kind of nervous. I've never actually been to a party like this before and I don't know what to expect.
I wait for Jack after the game. I'm riding home with him, so I have to wait until he gets showered and changed.
When he comes out, I go up and give him a huge hug like I did after they won the game. "You did amazing." I say in his ear.
"Thanks," he says as we pull away. "It means a lot coming from you." He smiles at me, and I get butterflies in my stomach again. This is kind of weird. Lately, we've been getting closer. We aren't acting like a couple, but we just aren't acting the same as we did before. Of course we aren't acting like a couple, we aren't one. I've said it a thousand times already and I'll say it again. Jack only likes me as a friend, and it's going to stay that way.
We drive off to Jack's house and there are already a bunch of people there. Johnson and Sam are right behind us as we walk in. People just keep flooding in the house and pretty soon, it is packed. I have to admit, it's a little overwhelming, but I'm having a great time.
Mahogany and I talk for a while until we decide to play truth or dare with a bunch of other people upstairs. When we get up there, I recognize most of the people. Taylor and Nash are there, so we take a seat on the floor next to them.
After a while, someone gets to me. "Truth or dare, Charlotte?" Morgan from my Chemistry class asks. I guess you could say I'm friends with Morgan. She's a really cool girl and she reminds me of my best friend back in Maryland.
"Truth."
"Do you have a thing for Jack Gilinsky?"
This was not what I was expecting. Does everybody think I like Jack? I look over at Charlotte and she gives me a sympathetic look back. I turn to Morgan and say, "No, me and Jack are just friends. Neither of us feel that way about eachother."
Mahogany gives me thumbs up as we continue the game. But, I notice Nash and Taylor exchange a look. Do they think I have a thing for Jack?
After a few minutes, I get tired of the game. I decide to go outside and get some fresh air. I walk out to the backyard and sit on the swing on the patio. Jack's backyard is really pretty. I sit in silence for a while, admiring the scenery. Suddenly, I hear the door open. "Need some company?" A sweet voice asks. I turn around, expecting to see Jack. But, I see Tony.
I roll my eyes and turn back around. "Not from you." I say. He comes and sits next to me on the swing. I move over as much as possible, trying to get away from him.
"Don't be like that, babe." Tony says, moving closer to me.
"You disgust me." I say as I walk out into to yard, leaning against the side of the house. Tony follows me and stands in front of me. "Don't pretend you don't like me. You know I'm better than Jack." I can't believe he's saying this.
"Would you mind leaving me alone?" I say, trying not to lose my temper. Suddenly, Tony's lips are crashing into mine. I push him off of me, using all of my strength.
"Why the attitude?" He asks getting way to close to me. I feel very uncomfortable.
"Go fuck yourself, Tony."
Right then, the palm of his hand meets my face. "What did you say?" He says harshly. I try my best not to let my tears show as I hold my stinging cheek.
"You heard me." I say, closing my eyes and preparing for the worst.