Chapter 43

Charlotte's POV:

I walk into school the next day with Johnson and Sam on either side of me. Jack has a doctors appointment this morning, so he won't be here until lunch.

Sam walks to his locker while Johnson comes with me to mine.

"So, you and Jack are like, back to normal?" He asks as I take my books out of my locker.

"Yeah, I think so." I say, smiling at the thought of Jack.

"Good, it was kind of weird not seeing you two together."

"It felt weird, too." I say closing my locker and turning to Johnson. "But that's all behind us now."

"Yeah." Just then the bell rings. "Well I gotta go. See ya third period." Johnson says, walking away from me. I walk towards my first period class with a smile painted on my face.

-------------------

My first five periods of the day passed by much too slowly. I longed for lunch so that I could see Jack, but the clock couldn't have ticked any slower today.

When the bell after fifth period rang, I went straight to the cafeteria, trying my best to ignore distractions. When I get there, my eyes search the room, trying to locate Jack. I don't find him.

I really want to see Jack, but right now, my need for food is stronger. I go to the line and get my lunch.

After I sit down, I see that Nash, Mahogany, Aaron, and Taylor are the only other ones that are here yet. Usually when I get here, most of the others are already eating. I must've really walked fast.

As everyone else eventually sits down, there is still no sign of Jack. Luckily, they all had enough sense to leave an empty seat next to me.

I'm starting to think that Jack won't be coming to school for the rest of the day. But, just as I am, I see the chair beside me pull out. "Hey guys, sorry I'm late." Jack says, taking a seat. I smile when I see his face.

Jack leans in to kiss me on the cheek. "Hey babe, how's your day been?" He asks.

"It sucked." I say stabbing my food with my fork. "I've had two exams and we were assigned a project in history."

"Wow, that does suck." He says.

"And to make it all worse, I haven't seen you all day." I say, looking at him.

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry about that."

"Jack, you don't have to be sorry. It's not like you chose to have an appointment just to avoid me." I say, giggling a little bit as I do. I never giggle. Do you see what this boy does to me?

"I know, but I just hated not being able to see you this morning." He says.

I smile at him. "Well you're here now. That's all that matters."

"Umm, hey, sorry to interrupt whatever is going on here," Taylor intervenes, "but has anyone seen Matt or Carter?"

I look around and notice that neither Matt or Carter are at the table.

"I haven't seen Matt since first period, and I don't have any classes with Carter until after lunch." I say.

"Knowing them, they're probably in the principal's office again." Jack says.

We sit there for a few minutes talking, mostly about how things are with Jack and I. We're in the middle of a conversation when a very tired looking Matt and a pissed off Carter join us at the table.

"What happened to you guys?" Nash asks, chuckling.

"We've been in the office for the last hour talking to Principal Brennan." Matt says. Carter has his arms crossed. He looks like he's about to start yelling at Matt any second.

"Okay, well why were you there this time?" Shawn asks.

"I'll tell you why." Carter finally speaks up. "We were in Spanish and the teacher left the room for two minutes. So, shit-for-brains here thought it would be a good idea to shoot spitballs at the board." He says, gesturing to Matt who is laughing now.

"When the teacher came back, the board was covered in them and she assumed that it was both of us. So, I spent an hour in the office, listening to some middle aged man lecture me on something I didn't do." He leans back in his chair, still as angry as he was when he got here.

"Well, you can't blame the teacher for assuming it was you . After all, you've earned a reputation for yourself that would make any teacher think you did it." Cameron says. Carter just shrugs.

"Why are you laughing?" Mahogany says to Matt.

"Because it was hilarious. The look on the teachers face when she saw the spitballs... Priceless." He says. When people first meet. Matt, they always assume that he is some nice, sensitive guy. I did too. But I quickly learned that I was way off.

"You two are hot messes." I say to Matt and Carter.

"But that's why you love us." Matt teases. I roll my eyes smiling as I get up to throw my trash away. Jack comes with me and we go back to my locker afterward. "You didn't eat lunch?" I say when I notice that Jack never had.

"No, I ate on my way back from my appointment." He says as we approach my locker. "So, Charlotte?" He says, his mood changing from happy to serious very quickly.

"Hmm?" I furrow my eyebrows, confused as to what he's going to say.

"Has Tony been near you at all in the past few weeks?" He asks.

I completely forgot about Tony. I learned to ignore him in the one class I have with him, so I haven't thought about him lately. "No, why?" I ask, curious about his sudden ineterest in the topic.

"I was just wondering. I mean, you said it yourself, he doesn't let things go easily. I'm just scared that he has something else planned." Jack says concerned.

"Jack, he hasn't even talked to me since the night of the party. I don't want you to worry about it okay?" I say. I really do hate to see Jack all worked up over things like this, especially when it's because of me.

"I know you don't want me to worry Charlotte, but I can't help it. I care about you too much to ignore it."

I sigh. "Fine, just don't let me know you're worrying about it, and we'll be fine." I say jokingly, trying to ease the tension. Jack laughs a little bit.

The bell then rings, telling me I need to go. "Okay, see you after school." I say leaning up to kiss Jack on the cheek. With that, I walk to my next class. For the first time in weeks, instead if thinking about Jack, I'm worrying about Tony.

-----------------

A/n:

So it's been a over a week since I updated last.

I know that a lot of people go a lot longer without updating, but it just seems really long for me.

But it's the weekend now so I had some time and if I have enough time today, then I might update again. But I still have homework to do for tomorrow so yeah. Let's see how that goes first.