[Chapter 19, Preparing for negotiations]

[Padge's perspective]

Alyssa sat next to me on the sofa in Caroll's living room. She had her ears as flat on top of her head as they could go. Although she knew what was coming up for her and me soon, she gave her friend across from her a worried look.

"Caroll, Padge and I have bad news right now. We are being forced to travel to Ganrosia under a summon from Duke Tah'kor." Alyssa broke the silence as Caroll's ears began quivering slightly in her uncertainty.

"Wha- why, how?!" Caroll exclaimed surprised and I handed the letter I had rolled up quickly as Alyssa and I had rushed to Caroll's house.

I could see her eyes grow more and more worried as I saw her read line after line. The frightened look growing worse with every dart they made to the next line.

"H-how can he claim these things so easily... ther-..." She fell silent and choked on her words and Alyssa knelt next to her, placing a single hand on Caroll's shoulder.

A brief jump from her ears was the response as Caroll gave a careful glance to her side.

"That is what we have been dealing with so far with that Duke. He is trying to get his hands on the land of Wolven Hollow and will give every dirty trick he can think of and try them all while he's at it." Alyssa calmly spoke and gave me a look of concern.

"It will be alright; I can take on his armies inside his city if needed... hope I don't have to though..." I replied as I tried to calm the two women before me.

Although I realized a bit late that this would never calm them.

Idiot, don't go trying to calm two women by telling them you'll wage war inside an enemy city while going for peace talks... I thought to myself as I realized how stupid I just acted.

"Please don't Baby... I don't like the idea of an attempt at creating a peace going into all out warfare with the two of us inside the city we are almost at war with already..." Alyssa retorted and Caroll nodded vigorously in affirmation.

"I don't plan on having to fight our way out. But Darling, you know what I said about protecting you. How far I'd go for that, this is one of those things..." I replied to calm Alyssa a bit.

My answer did calm her, Caroll however, only grew more confused as the conversation rolled on

It took well past the seventh bell of the evening to prepare all the arrangements on the paperwork side of this mess we had.

With Caroll's help, Alyssa and I managed to prepare an emergency army.

This would be the first actual action for my 'special forces' I had a list of their members I intended to bring along to the meeting we had been forced into.

I needed my most skilled guards with me.

Although the ones that I had planned on taking along were more in the line of S.W.A.T. members rather than a bunch of small time cops, even if they usually patrolled the streets.

Outside Caroll's house again after we had finished our business, Alyssa and I went to see the stables near the East side of Craftsman's Rise.

The Drake Stable that was built there usually housed several Velcik drakes for emergency situations.

The large raptor like lizards stood ripping at a large goat carcass that had been tossed into each of their pens.

Even for carnivores that reminded me of the famously ferocious velociraptors from my old world's long lost past, these drakes were incredibly easy to tame and thus easier to use for heavy carriages or fast infantry than most horses.