[Chapter 23, The Ganrosian Battle.]

[Alyssa's perspective]

Shocked and alone I stood in the room after Padge had ran off feeding off of his rage.

He had glanced at the Special Forces, guards and our swordsmanship trainers and all had instantly understood the message.

"Lady Baerne....We must ge' movin'..." A short man spoke, his stature was that of a broadly built dwarf.

A bushy deep brown beard covered his breastplate while he stood with a halberd and his hair tied into a tight ponytail on the back of his head reaching down to the backs of his knees

Resting the butt of the pommel of his halberd on the ground next to him the man eyed me briefly before he addressed me.

"M'lady, ye git not'in' teh fear wih da Speci'l Forces 'round." His raw rasping voice was oddly comforting in this situation, where the half destroyed leather of the slave collar still lay before me.

"He is hunting the duke... we are going to protect the slaves in the Castle..." I spoke and both Selussa and Renna stepped up to cover my flanks, blades drawn.

The Special Forces took rank and file and formed a front line while the Valkyries and regular guards took the rear guard.

Like that I took a brief moment to say my thanks for the dead rabbit girl.

She had tried to protect me.

A moment of respect for the dead felt in place as I moved to close the girl's frightened, dead eyes all with me said a brief prayer to their respective gods.

"Let's go!" I gave the order and fell into line with the unit around me as I made my way through the winding halls of Fangdor Castle.

The stench of fear and death filled the air as we passed multiple people who held their former slave collars in their hand, their eyes filled with a mix of shock, surprise and joy.

Guards and royal knights an amok through the corridors.

Most of those who protected me were attacked and had to kill the Ganrosian knights, until I ordered them all to a halt at the gruesome sight before me.

Ten guards with nothing but Ganrosian crests on their armor and weapons, stood blocking the door leading to the city itself.

We had the goal of getting me out of the city to prioritize, but myself, I wanted to protect the slaves as well.

But at the front door of the Ganrosian Fangdor Castle we were blocked. The guards each held a dagger with putrid dark magic billowing from it at a young child's throat.

Each and every one of the children wore the ragged, improvised clothing as the slaves pulling carts outside.

They could only look at the military force that had accompanied me, with large pleading eyes.

A single guard spoke to me in a cruel and wicked tone. "If ye wanna save these 'ere kids y'all gonna lay down yer weapons and put da collar back on the darned fox wench!... 'r'else... heh." The man stood pressing the dagger against the throat of a child of maybe seven years old and began to draw blood.

The boy's elven ears trembled in fear as I saw a thin trickle of dark red slowly run down the boy's lightly ash brown skin and stained his jute clothing.

"Guards! We got the escaped prisoner! Capture her!" The shouting accompanied the sound of marching plate armor from behind as we were pinned between a threat to the children being held hostage and a unit of trained knights who blocked our way back.

At that it was that I stepped forward, breaking my place in the formation. All those who had so far protected me gave confused looks as I walked up to the front of the threat before me. A single hand hung ready at my hip as I had been trained to.