[Chapter 25. Mommy tickles on the road.]

[Alyssa's perspective]

For a week of travel, I spoke with none other than the fifty or so slaves I had freed. Trying to figure out their past a little by little.

They initially feared that a new collar would be slapped on them as soon as we arrived in Yggdrasil, but with enough pushing the fact that we did not intend on that course of action their questions shifted.

"Lady Alyssa, wher'll we live in yer empir'? None o' us got no money an' no house?" A young Halfling child suddenly spoke the question I had been dreading for some time.

Not that I had not thought of a solution for the problem that I personally brought along fifty orphaned slaves.

Well former slaves to be precise, but still, they're all orphans I discovered on the road.

Back in Ganrosia, I had thought that at least some of them still had their parents in the city, but that proved as false a hope as there ever was.

Even the two dark elf siblings had been orphaned when their mother died from a disease she had caught selling her body to keep her children fed and her husband alive in prison.

Shortly after their mother had passed on, their father had been put to the chopping block and the two siblings sold as cheap farm staff for the Ganrosian Duke.

"...M'lady...?" The young boy asked again and drew me back to the present and he repeated his question, a little better spoken this time, but still a rather crude tongue for a Halfling.

He might have spent a lot of time with dwarves though.

"Sorry... bit of a drifting mind there..." I said with a smile.

"I plan on providing you all with a house and some pocket money to keep you all clothed.

A little bit of work, but not like you had to before. They'll be small chores and only at certain times." I softly spoke to them like it was an epic story about to reach the climax where the hero slays the monstrous fiend.

"I will have a house built for all of you. It will be a new home to help you all prepare for the new life you're all given. I'm going to make an orphanage." I spoke and they all grew eyes so wide that I was absolutely certain that at least one of these kids would have them pop out of the sockets.

" " " "Yeah!!!!" " " " They all shouted in a loud and deafening chorus.

They all cheered about their new home, all but one single girl.

Her copper hair hung in front of her face, obscuring it completely and her muscular copper scaled tail was tightly wrapped around her right leg. A slight shake passed through her figure every now and then and a soft sobbing could be heard.

"What's wrong dear, My Baby healed your wing correctly? Or does it hurt? Tell me..." I spoke kneeling in front of the dragonet girl whose wings were pulled close to her body.

The fingers that frustratedly pulled at the hem of her jute skirt in between her clawing them into her legs until her nails scraped the skin off.

"Are you afraid?" I asked her and she looked up with fearful eyes. Eyes that seemed to have seen far beyond what her short life should have seen.

"I... I w-won't have a house in the ophanaghe... Alina knows she will be ki-kicked out... weird things a-alw-ways happ'n 'round m-me" She spoke while sobbing and I rested a calm hand on her trembling shoulder.

"You will all have a place to call home in Yggdrasil. I'll make sure of it. Okay, Alina?"

As I carefully moved her copper brown hair out of her face, the young dragonet looked up at me with shocked eyes.