VOL.2 [Chapter 13, thoughtless provocation.]

[Alyssa's perspective]

After we had finished the two weeks lasting discussions with the Medrus Kingdom, the entire delegation returned to their homeland, being seen off by Padge, Alina and me, along with most of the nobles who lived in Wolven Hollow.

Just like on their way from their own border to the capital of Yggdrasil, the entire caravan of Medrus nobility was escorted and guarded by our Velcik Cavalry, this time with much gratitude from the many dwarves they would protect from foreign bandits.

After the delegation had officially left Yggdrasil territory, life returned to 'normal' in the Empire and especially in Wolven Hollow.

Alina was making great progress with her Runic studies, aided by both Lady Miyako and Seleris.

Padge had been busy trying to find out more of Ruflourus' plans towards our country and I spent a lot of time in my own office to arrange the planned exports to Medrus we had agreed upon.

Soon a week passed and Orinya worked a lot less at the Palace and had finished hiring succubae for her Devil's Tears factory. Many inhabitants of many other races came flocking to the promise of a stable income, mostly immigrants who had so far only been able to come by on odd jobs here and there and state support to help them settle and obtain a house.

So those costs for Yggdrasil greatly dropped with the influx of work in Wolven Hollow.

A building with the required tools for mass-producing the small candies, making the labels and all other related tasks had been erected in a mere week during the negotiations and stood just beyond the outer wall of Wolven Hollow, in a more commonly accessible area of the city, yet had heavy security stationed around it for protection against thievery.

While several more weeks passed rather calmly, a messenger came from Medrus a mere half week after the grand celebration of Yggdrasil's founding.

"Your Imperial Highness, The Emperor has already been informed, but a messenger from our allies in Medrus has come with news for you and the Emperor." Gonale spoke calmly as she stood in the door opening to my office.

She held her wings in a somewhat tensed position as she stood there, but I understood a long time ago after asking her about it, she considered this to be a more proper way of bearing them in front of her rulers.

"Thank Gonale, I shall head to the throne room immediately, please inform the Emperor I shall be there shortly." I told her and she nodded before making a slight bow and leaving again.

While I finished the little bit of work I had left on the document I was working on, I placed it on the stack that had been finished already and left the office, making my way for the throne room where Padge was probably already waiting for me.

[Padge's perspective]

The messenger from Medrus stood before me, nervously waiting for Alyssa to arrive as I sat on my throne.

In all honesty, I still felt weird to be sitting on a throne like this, but it was a necessary part of being the ruler of a country.

"Her Imperial Highness, Alyssa Baerne has arrived!" A Valkyrie announced as he opened the door to my left and Alyssa gracefully stepped forward.

In a brief glance, I could tell her belly was slowly growing, but I was also glad that unless one actually knew of her pregnancy, it was impossible to know the slight bulge under her dress was in fact our child growing inside of her.

She had already stopped wearing her normal corsets over her dresses and shirts to keep them from causing any harm to our child, but many only thought that she had grown tired of them for now, so no more speculation went into the fact, luckily.