[Chapter 27, Return Home.]

[Padge's perspective]

I had offered Alina my place in the bed with Alyssa the last night. Seeing the girl deserved a proper bed for her first night here.

Shyly she had tried to refuse, but Alyssa had urged her on to accept my offer.

When I had told the girl the next morning would be a meeting with a mason of top quality to have the home remodeled to give her a room of her own, Alina eyed me with large eyes of pure joy.

"Alina no long'r needs sleep in dung'n...?" She asked worriedly again, the next morning while we sat eating and both Alyssa and I gave her a nod.

"We will need to work a bit on your speech. It's not a real problem, but you don't really finish your words a lot." I spoke and the girl gave a confused look.

"Alina had no'ne to help her learn talkin'. So Alina had to learn all 'rself. Sorry..." She meekly replied and shied away as she apologized.

"There's no real problem. But what Padge meant to say is that we'll help you to learn to talk like most people do. Hee, it is kind of cute how you talk though..." Alyssa spoke and gave a small giggle while she hugged the girl next to her.

Yeah I guess you'd find that way of talking super cute, your childhood friend has a similar speaking habit... and he's a kobold for crying out loud! I thought and shook my head to banish those thoughts.

I had not realized I had taken on the biased mindset that some people have to certain races of this world.

Kobolds were not particularly seen in a positive light.

And although I like the guy myself, I had to admit Khusz had his poorly articulated and spoken manners.

On second thought about Alyssa's considering Lina's way of speaking cute, on the girl it somewhat was.

It gave her a strange mysterious vibe that fit with her past.

Not the slave part, but the orphaned on accident, had to learn everything herself.

So she is actually pretty well spoken all things considered.

"Your Highness, the mason Marellan Naero has arrived per your request." One of the Valkyries stationed at our door announced and I cleared the man to enter.

"Your Highness, Lady Empress... Ehhhm..." The man greeted me and Alyssa and fell silent with confusion readable on his face as he saw the seven year old girl next to Alyssa.

"Pardon my rudeness, Your Highness, but may I ask who the child is?" The man asked and I could see his slightly pointed ears poke out under his short cropped hair.

They were not as long as Selussa's and Renna's, so he was probably a half elf.

"Ah yes, she is the reason I requested a meeting. We have adopted her; news should be going around the nation soon on the topic.

But for now we require a separate bedroom for her.

Seeing you have in the past been requested to build our current house. Thus, I figured it to make sense to request the new room for our daughter be added by you." I replied and the man nodded.

"Understandable. Then let us proceed to discuss the room's addition." He spoke and made a bow to Alina, who sat nervously clamping onto Alyssa's arm.

She still wore the jute, improvised clothing she had worn when we took her out of Ganrosia, so I gave Alyssa a brief glance and she nodded.

"Lina, Dear, shall we go get you some new clothing...?" Alyssa spoke while she got to her feet.

Silently the girl nodded, and I waited with the discussion with the mason to let Alina finish her breakfast so she could go shopping with Alyssa.