Chapter 17 To the mall

Each step he took felt heavy and weak. The darkness seemed to scare him more as he walked down the hall and towards his room, he didn't want to bother Mugman or Cala Maria and through the darkness he could see tiny white eyes stare at him. Were they always there? Or was it his imagination running wild? Cuphead walked into his room and could hear his heart pound in his chest. Finally, he made it to his room. Cuphead turned on his room light and the eyes and voices were gone.

He must be hallucinating. Maybe if he gets some proper sleep he'll feel okay. So the small cup grabbed his glow in the dark plushie and turned off ha light as he headed into his brother's room. Since Mugman was downstairs with Cala and Cuphead was too scared to sleep in his room, tonight he decided to sleep in his brother's room.

He just felt safer in his brother's room after having that nightmare. It would normally calm him down and he would sleep peacefully that night. Hopefully Mugman wouldn't get too angry. Cuphead opened the door to reveal a neat light blue room and a cozy bed. Cuphead trotted over to the bed and crawled under the covers of his brother's bed. Cuphead sighed happily in content and held his stuffed plush as he drifted to sleep.

In the morning Cuphead awoke to someone shaking him. The small cup turned to see and it was his brother laughing softly at how cute Cuphead was.

Cuphead didn't know it but his clothes were slightly loose and falling off his shoulder, his eyes were half light trying to wake from his sleep and his cheeks were a red hue with the side of his mouth dripping with sleepy drool. Looks like someone had a good night's sleep. Mugman chuckled again.

"Good morning." Mugman said.

Cuphead gave a half whine.

"Your drooling bro." Mugman pointed out.

Cuphead flushed a deep red as he realized it and quickly he wiped it away. Mugman stifled more chuckles as he spoke to his young brother.

"Cmon it's time to get up, breakfast is almost done and we'll be heading to the mall today." Mugman said.

Cuphead yawned and sat up rubbing his tired eyes. Mugman got up and headed downstairs. Cuphead slowly followed and on the table was freshly cooked pancakes, Cala Maria was there and looked tired too but happy in a way.

"Good morning." She smiled.

"G-good morning." Cuphead replied.

Breakfast was quiet but the three chatted while they ate and after breakfast Cala Maria stood up and thanked the two boys.

"Well I better go home, I'll see you two at the mall." Cala said.

"Alright see you there!" Mugman said.

After the mermaid left Mugman hurried upstairs and went into the bathroom to take a shower. Cuphead was left alone but he headed to his room to gather his clothes for the day. His black hoodie with the rose and blue jeans with his choker necklace. However the shirt underneath the sweat shirt was a red short sleeved shirt with long black and white sleeves underneath the short sleeves. They would be useful to cover up the cut marks.

The bathroom door slowly opened and Mugman stepped out of the bathroom and looked happily refreshed.

"Bathroom's all yours bro." Mugman said.

The small toon headed into the bathroom and closed the door. He turned on the shower and slowly yet cautiously began removing his clothes. He didn't want to look at himself, he knew it was disgusting...He was disgusting. Cuphead took a quick shower and threw on his clothes. Mugman must be waiting for him downstairs.

"Stop making him wait and get moving." His mind screamed.

Cuphead hurried downstairs and sure enough Mugman was down there on his phone texting. He was laughing and taking photos of himself, must be sending them to Cala Maria. Cuphead quickly walked down the steps but Mugman already knew that he was there and looked up at him smiling kindly.

"Ready to go?" He asked.

Cuphead nodded giving him a shy smile. It was awfully nice of both Mugman and Cala Maria to allow him to come with them to the mall. He couldn't remember what they were going to but he couldn't care less whatever it was must be fun. The blue mug opened the front door and Cuphead walked out. After Mugman closed the door they began walking, it was a quiet walk but it was a peaceful one. Cuphead was alone with his thoughts but not alone physically as he walked with his brother.

"Hey Cups?" Mugman asked.

"Y-yes?" Cuphead said.

"Was there a reason why I found you in my room?" Mugman asked.

"E-eh." Cuphead flushed a light red.

Oh boy how would he explain this. Cuphead laughed nervously as he rubbed his arm and averted his gaze from his brother.

"I-I umm." Cuphead seemed nervous.

"Hey it's okay if you don't wanna talk about it that's okay. I'm not mad I just wanted to know." Mugman said.

"Tell him." Cuphead's mind said.

Cuphead swallowed hard, no he knew that Mugman was an understanding brother. He loved him. He should tell him the truth. Yet why did he feel so scared when he told him.

"I-I had a ni-nightmare and couldn't sl-sleep in my room. I-I felt s-safer in your r-room so I slept th-there for the n-night." Cuphead said.

Mugman stared at him for a moment listening

"I-I felt s-safe in there." Cuphead said.

Mugman smiled.

"Okay I'm happy that you slept well." Mugman said.

Cuphead smiled.

Soon the two were close to the mall and Mugman could see Cala Maria waving her arms to get their attention. Mugman hurried his way to her, Cuphead following along.

"Glad to see that you two made it." Cala Maria said.

"Glad to be here." Mugman chimed.

Cuphead stayed quiet as the two spoke.

"There's a smoothie shop inside and alive been dying to try one." The mermaid said.

"Sounds good let's go." Mugman said and the two brothers followed Cala Maria inside the mall.