Chapter 38 Hurt/Comfort

Lucy however couldn't stay she had said that she needed to go home or she'd never hear the end of it by her mother and father. The two brothers understood and off the young girl went saying goodbye to the two brothers. Now it was only Cuphead and his brother Mugman, what would they do now? Mugman carefully got off the bed and called for some food to be brought to the room and the two waited. There was silence for a brief moments the brothers waited for the food to arrive. Mugman spoke up against the silence.

"Elder Kettle says hi." Mugman said.

"Oh...uh t-tell him I s-said h-hi too." Cuphead said .

"You know you really scared me back there at the police station." said the older brother.

Cuphead shifted nervously he knew what his brother was talking about.

"I-I'm sorry." Cuphead said.

"No." Mugman interrupted.

Cuphead looked up to stare at his brother.

"H-huh?"

"I'm the one who should be apologizing." Mugman said.

Cuphead remained silent.

"I took you to the police station knowing that there might be someone from the incident, I should have been more careful. " Mugman said.

Cuphead felt horrible, he hated seeing his brother like this. It was painful to see.

"He wouldn't feel like this if it weren't for you, you're a burden to your whole family. You worthless runt. " his mind said.

Cuphead held back tears and looked down.

"No."

Mugman looked up at his brother.

"I-it was my f-fault I o-overreacted...I-I was a-acting like a b-baby." Cuphead said.

"You were scared Cup. Hell anyone would be scared." Mugman said and could feel anger bubble over.

I literally there you into a situation where you were faced with the same people who tried to hurt you and one was even jacking off the whole time, that fucker Jadon tried to rap-; "

"Stop!" Cuphead sobbed and shivered.

"J-just please s-stop...I-I don't want to t-talk a-about this." Cuphead said.

There was a wave of silence as the two brothers stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry." Mugman said.

"I-I'm sorry t-too." Cuphead replied.

"For what? You have nothing to apologize for." Mugman exclaimed.

"I have a lot to apologize for." Cuphead stated solemnly.

Before Mugman could even ask what that meant there was a knock on the door, the food was finally here. After the two ate Cuphead brushed his teeth clean and looked at the window and shivered. Mugman always hated seeing his brother shiver. It was another reminder that he was scared of something or remembering that fateful day at the hospital at mainland.

"Hey Cups."

"Y-yeah?"

"You remember that time last summer we played hide and seek in the dark."

Cuphead chuckled softly.

"Y-yeah we used giant glow sticks and flashlights." Cuphead said.

Mugman laughed.

"Yeah I tried to find you but I couldn't, you we're pretty good at hide and seek. " Mugman said.

"I-I was a-also really s-scared of th-the da-dark." Cuphead recalled.

"B-but I was h-happy to h-have a flashlight." Cuphead said.

The two shared a laugh.

"That was really fun though. " Mugman said.

"F-for who? I-I fell into a-a pool." Cuphead said between gasps of air and laugher.

"Well it's a good thing you did I thought I'd never find you." Mugman teased.

Cuphead pouted.

"Jerk."

Mugman stifled a laugh.

"Aww Cmon Cuppy." Mugman teased and hugged his brother.

Cuphead stiffened a little and slowly eased himself and hugged back.

"I don't know about you bro but I'm real tired." Mugman said.

Cuphead nodded and the two looked around and knew that there was only one bed.

"Should we call someone?" Cuphead suggested.

"Nah, I could sleep in the same bed." Mugman said.

Cuphead looked at Mugman and rubbed his eyes and nodded. He didn't really mind his brother sharing a bed with him, besides the bed looked big enough for the two of them to fit them. The two got into bed and Mugman grabbed the fairytale book and gave his brother a smile. Cuphead snuggled the blankets and watched as his brother read to him. Cuphead listened as he stared at the pictures and felt his eyes getting heavy.

He loved when his brother reed to him, with him here it made him feel safe. Cuphead slowly drifted to sleep. Mugman watched as he turned off the light and went to sleep.

Cuphead slowly sat up and looked around he....he was back where he was last time. In a bed inside a room light by candle light. The young toon was wearing the same thing a white nightgown that smelled like vanilla with ruffles at the very bottom the only difference was the gown had a small red bow. Cuphead slipped out of bed and grabbed a candle near his bedside, he was happy to have a candle with him to fight off the darkness. Before he left however he grabbed some matches nearby. For an unsettling reason Cuhead was compelled to leave.

There was just a sudden urge to do so but Cuphead didn't know why. The small cup walked towards the door and grabbed hold of the door knob.

"Get. Back. Here." A voice smooth as silk and calm and alluring as night rain said.

Wait a minute that voice.

Cuphead turned around and saw a pair of emerald eyes glowing in the dark staring back at him. It was him, that figure from his last dream the one who hugged him and told him he'd never let him go. That made the small cup shiver.

"And where do you think you're going in such late hours of the night?" The voice said.

Cuphead froze and for a moment lost his voice.

"You don't think you can just wonder around do you?" The voice teased.

Cuphead didn't move.

"Come, let's go back to bed. " the voice purred.

Cuphead couldn't move, what did the voice mean by let's go to bed? Did he mean by together? The thought sent chills down the small boys spine. Quickly the small toon grabbed hold of the knob again and once more the voice spoke to him. Footsteps began walking towards him and fear began creeping in.

"S-stay!...st-stay away!" Cuphead cried and shivered violently.