Chapter 37 Trying to reassure

Why did those words have to hurt so much to hear her say that. He didn't know but Lucy gave him a kind smile to the young cup.

"But we can do lots of stuff together before I go. " Lucy said.

Cuphead seemed a little at ease but was still sad that one of his friends would be leaving Inkwell isle and heading off to mainland. It gwas sad to say but Cuphead needed to be at least happy for the moment. The two talked for awhile and laughed a little bit as they joked here and there. It was nice talking to her.

It always was.

Within the next hour Mugman arrived holding his and Cuphead's backpack.

"Hey bro, hi Lucy." Mugman smiled.

Lucy smiled and said hello to the older brother. Mugman sat down and the three began talking a little bit.

"So where's Cala Maria?" Lucy asked.

"She's babysitting." Mugman answered.

"I didn't know she baby sat." Lucy replied.

"Oh yeah she does, she wants to save up some money to buy a dress for prom." Mugman said.

The mention of prom seemed foreign to Cuphead, he had heard Cala and Mugman discussing homecoming and other parties but he was told that prom was the most important day of a high schoolers life. Lucy and Mugman chatted on about school dances for awhile as Cuphead listened. They discussed about the school dances and student council.

"So you're directing homecoming and prom?" Lucy asked.

Mugman nodded.

"Yeah with some help though. It's super exciting." Mugman said.

"Wh-what are you th-thinking about? T-the decorations I-I mean." Cuphead said.

Mugman looked at his brother and smiled.

"We haven't decided yet, some of us were thinking of a tropical ocean theme for homecoming but we can't decide on what theme for prom though. " Mugman said.

Cuphead nodded and turned to !ucy who spoke.

"That sounds nice." She said.

Cuphead looked at her before asking.

"A-are you gonna g-go to h-homecoming? " Cuphead stuttered.

Lucy stared at him and thought for a moment before replying.

"I'm not sure yet, I'm not really into that stuff." She said.

Cuphead looked down.

"Oh."

"But." She said.

Cuphead looked up from the table and met Lucy's pale blue eyes.

"I might just consider going." Lucy said.

Hearing her say that made Cuphead feel kinda happy.

"Oh I almost forgot." Mugman said.

"I brought some of your homework."

Cuphead looked at Mugman who dug into the back pack and pulled out some notebooks and textbooks, folders and sheets of paper that looked to be assignments. Everything looked like a giant pile of homework and Cuphead dreaded it. It seemed like it would take him forever to finish this.

"Don't worry Cuphead." Mugman said.

"We'll help you." Lucy said.

Cuphead nodded as he opened a biology textbook and began working on some assignments while the older he other and girl helped the small cup with his homework. After an hour Cuphead breathed a sigh of relief happy that all his homework was complete. The three after helping the young toon cup decided to get some lunch and continue talking. Well !ucy and Mugman did Cuphead was lost in his thoughts.

None in which were good.

Dark.

Sickening.

Unnerving.

Cuphead wondered what the new student should look like. It didn't matter and the painful fact that Lucy was soon to move away made Cuphead fear what the future held for him, would it be the same? Back to being alone and bullied, Cuphead swallowed hard . The thought alone seemed to send chills down his spine.

"Cuphead?" Mugman called.

Cuphead looked up at his brother.

"H-huh?"

"You okay? You seem lost." Mugman said.

Cuphead nodded.

"You sure?" asked Mugman.

"Y-yeah I-I'm fine." Cuphead said.

"You're not good at lying." His mind said.

Mugman smiled and nodded but he looked like he wasn't convinced.

"Told you , you were a bad liar." His mind spat.

Cuphead finished putting the last notebook and folder as well as his homework back into his backpack and seemed sad. However Mugman placed a hand on his brother's shoulder and the three headed back to his hospital room . There they talked some more as they began winding down. Cuphead was happy to have the two here Mugman had even told him that he would stay over for the night. That made Cuphead very happy to hear he would no longer be alone for the night and instead would feel safe and secure with his brother's presence.