Chapter 33 Somethings wrong with the children

"R-really?" Cuphead sniffed.

Rumor smiled and nodded.

Okay that seemed to to cheer Cuphead up a little. The young toon began fiddling with the bow of his plush and felt akward silence begun to brew.

"Here." Rumor Honeybottoms said handing the young boy some tissues and some honey soaked candy. Cuphead graciously accepted and took the tissues, wiping his eyes and blowing his nose.

"W-where did the s-screaming come f-from." Cuphead asked.

Rumor looked away and seemed hesitant on answering.

"I don't think you wanna know sweet pea."

Cuphead looked at her before looking down. Rumor Honeybottoms sighed as she looked at the small cup and gave him a sweet smile.

"That scream came from the children physiatric unit." The bee women said.

Cuphead carefully slipped a honey soaked candy into his mouth and nodded. He was a bit curious.

"If you must know a few children are in a comatose state, we're trying our best to wake them up." Rumor Honeybottoms said gasping and covering her mouth.

She had said too much.

"Th-that's h-horrible." Cuphead said in a frightened whisper.

Rumor nodded.

"Well sugar I should be going now, have a good night hon, I'll be back to check on you again. " She said.

Cuphead nodded and laid down, resting his head on his pillow Mugman brought from home and cuddled his blankets and plushie before falling asleep.

Rumor Honeybottoms walked down the hall and into the children's unit. She sucked in a breath and smiled as she walked walked into a room. Where two doctors, well a doctor in training were discussing about what to do about the comatose children.

"I'm back." Rumor said sweetly.

The two doctors, one a firefly the other a bear turned to her.

"Ah, Ms. Honeybottoms so good to see you." The bear said.

Rumor smiled.

"It's good to see you two Mrs. Clawington." Rumor Honeybottoms said.

The female bear chuckled.

"We have some bad news for you." Frank the firefly said.

Rumor's smile faltered.

"What? What is it?" She asked.

There was a heavy silence between the three.

"Two more children came in today and both are in comatose states." Bethany Clawington said.

"What! That makes twelve children in total!" Rumor cried.

The firefly and bear looked away.

"Did you check blood surveys?! Their digestive tract?! Their heart rate?!" Rumor paused.

"Anything." Rumor said sounding pitiful and sad.

"We've tried everything Ms.Honeybottoms, but nothing seems to be working. Their heart rates are fine, there's nothing in the blood that was detected as poisonous and their digestive tract is functioning properly." Mrs. Clawington.

"It was as if they all were put under a spell or something and never woke up." Frank added.

"Frank, no child goes to sleep and the next day decided to go into a coma, something very bad is happening and it's happening now." Rumor Honeybottoms said.

"Then let's get started, another option we can do is a brain scan." Mrs. Clawington said.

"A brain scanner?" Frank said confusingly.

"Yes, maybe there a problem within the brain of each child that's preventing them from waking up." The female bear said.

The male firefly and the bee women exchanged glances before speaking.

"Alright let's do it." Rumor said.

"Yeah I'm in." Frank stated.

Mrs. Clawington nodded and gave a stack of papers to the firefly who looked up at her.

"Frank, I'll need you to hand out these papers. In order to,proceed on we'll need the signatures of the parents granting us permission to do this." The bear stated.

"I'll get started right away." He said.

"Rumor you're with me." Clawington said.

"Right." The bee woman said.

In Cuphead's room the small cup stirred and turned in his sleep. The dream he was having had to be by far the most blizzard dream the young teen had ever had. It felt like he was falling , falling into a dark void, until suddenly. He stopped. Only when he stopped and landed a bright blue light flashed across the area illuminating the area. Cuphead was pale almost glowing in a way. Even his red eyes and nose were glowing. Cuphead slowly stood up and immediately another flash of blue light ran across the atmosphere illuminating everything for a brief moment before it was swallowed up by the black abyss of darkness. Cuphead whimpered feeling his nyctophobia begun to kick in. Cuphead then began taking a few steps and within those steps flashes of bright blue lights light up everything around Cuphead.

It appeared that movement is what was causing the bright pale blue light. With that thought in mind Cuphead began walking foward wondering how he manages to end up in such a place like this.

Then he heard something.

The small toon stopped walking and stood still. The light faded and Cuphead watched as darkness began swallowing him up or trying to since he was glowed in the dark with ease. Then he heard it again, it sounded like a little girl's voice. It sounded as if it were in distress.

"Someone help me!" The girl's voice screamed.

The sound and noise bounced off and echoed all around him. Cuphead then felt an urge to follow the voice and so he did what his soul said and followed the distressed sound of the girl.

"Please I'm scared!" The girl cried.

Cuphead ran faster and stopped when he saw a stuffed rabbit.

At first he was confused, but he didn't think too much of it as he heard the cry again , bright yellow-gold light came from the small stuffed animal. Cuphead reached out to try and touch the bunny but retracted his hand away. He hated the thought of being touched it made him shiver and shoe with fear so it was only fair that he shouldn't touch this 'child' but their cries and please told him otherwise. Cuphead took a deep breath and reached out and touched the stuffed rabbit. Within a millisecond the stuffed animal disappeared with a white flash. Cuphead was stunned for a few minutes but relaxed, a feeling inside him bubbled up. It felt.

Nice.

Cuphead then heard another girl calling out for help. The small toon followed the sound of the distressed child and came to the stuffed elephant. Again he was confused but carefully began putting two and two together, the children were depicted as stuffed animals in this place. Or maybe their souls were trapped in the stuffed animals. Whatever it could be Cuphead needed to help the young child. As before the young cup reached out and touched the the elephant and a brilliant white flash blinded Cuphead for a moment then it went all black until Cuphead moved again. The stuffed elephant was gone.