thirty ✰ a. barnes (lad)

our story

for GoddessofMischief03

our story✰ ✰ ✰for GoddessofMischief03

The story started like this.

"Austin, don't do this." I say, reaching for my best friend's hand. But he has no problem with backing farther away from me, and everything I have to say to him.

"Don't do what, Steph? Leave? It's funny, it doesn't seem like I have to because you already have." The tears begin forming in my eyes. I don't understand this - any of this. All through high school, Austin was the only person I could turn to, through everything. He helped me through my hardest times. He helped me become happy again. But as someone else walks into my life, Austin walks out.

"How could you say that, Austin? I'm here! I've always been here and I need you. You don't understand how much I need you!" I'm yelling at this point, and I can't stop. I don't even try to hold back my tears. I let them fall. My hands tremble as I take a few steps closer to Austin, desperate. But at this point, I don't think he cares.

"No, Steph. You don't need me. You have him. And you've made it pretty clear that he's enough." And with that - he walks away, leaving me with tear-stained cheeks on some person's driveway, the night of graduation. I hear the front door crack open behind me.

"You okay, babe?" His husky voice speaks, kindly. I quickly wipe the tears from my cheeks, plastering the fakest smile on my face while turning around to face my boyfriend.

"Yeah, everything's perfect." Nothing is perfect. He offers his hand which I gladly take, allowing him to usher me back into the party. As I take my final step into the house, I take one last glance at where Austin had left me. And there he is - watching; disappointment painted on his face. And that's how I know - I've lost my best friend.

And five years later, that day still haunts me. The day I lost my best friend, my right hand - my everything. If I hadn't been such an idiot as a senior, I wouldn't be in this mess, and I would still have Austin, possibly as more than a friend. But now here I am, sitting in an apartment I used to share with Brad. Brad, my boyfriend of five years, who had been cheating on me for two. And it only took me so long to find out. I can't even sleep in my own bedroom anymore, because that's where I saw him. The image of the room pains me, the moment they'd been caught running through my mind like a movie. Only god knows how many broken mirrors, torn curtains, and ripped sheets there are in that room. I've tried to rid of anything and everything that reminds me of that day; that horrible fucking day. If only I could dispose of the memory along with everything else. But I can't. Now I spend my days on the couch, tissues covering the ground, multiple empty wine bottles sat on the table, and my heart in pieces. I have no one.

I check my phone in hopes of finding any notifications. But, what's the point? I've left my friends and family, isolated myself from everyone. He was all I had. And he betrayed me, so where do I go from here? But to my surprise, the single red dot containing the number one sitting in the right corner of the messages app catches my eye. My mind is blank as to who it could possibly be. Hesitantly, I open the app, finally revealing who'd sent the message. And it is possibly the last person I would have guessed.