thirty-nine ✰ s. gennett (cin)

reunion
✰ ✰ ✰
for morganrg7

I hold onto Riley's small hand, leading her down the large steps at Great American Ball Park

I hold onto Riley's small hand, leading her down the large steps at Great American Ball Park. The sight of the bright green grass is breathtaking. The baseball atmosphere, and overall energy from all of the fans plasters a bright smile on my daughter's face. She stares at the park like she's never seen anything like it. And frankly, so am I. The sight, the feeling - everything is just astonishing. As we take our first row seats along the first baseline, the Reds take the field. We made it just in time.

The first half of the first inning flew by, the Reds defense playing very well. The first batter, Billy Hamilton steps into the box, slamming a base hit between short and second on the third pitch. As Hamilton easily steals second with Peraza in the box, the crowd goes wild. This guy is too fast. Peraza resumes his at-bat, the on deck batter stepping out of the dugout. Despite the terrible view from our seats, he looks awfully familiar. As he takes a few practice swings, I catch his eyes. My heart flutters as I'm met with a bright smile. Those eyes, the smile - I know them from somewhere. But I just can't place my finger on it. I gently run my hand through Riley's hair, clearing my throat. She looks up at me and flashes a toothy smile, a large gap where her two front teeth have fallen out. Riley giggles lightly as Paraza strikes out, walking angrily back to the dugout. The batter's walk up song rings in my ears. I hear the echo of the announcer's deep voice blast throughout the park.

"Stepping to the plate is Reds' second baseman - Scooter Gennett." Time stops. The sound of cheers from the crowd around me become silent. My eyes go wide. Ryan. It all comes back at once. My first love - and possibly the man I still love had lived out his dream. He's made it to the majors. My heartbeat quickens, my eyes glued to Scooter. After all of these years, and all of our milestones - I'm met with him again. To think after losing him in college, and having a child for goodness sake - I think I might still have feelings for him. But sadly, the odds of still having feelings for me are not good. I admire him as he focuses in the batter's box, the only thing on my mind is what a mistake I made agreeing to break up all those years ago. He was really the only man would treated me right, who was there for me - who loved me. And that's probably why I named Riley after him. Sure, it's not exactly his name. But he holds a special place in my heart. I'll never forget the love of my life.

-scooter's pov-

My first at-bat of the game goes pretty well. But while I was at the plate, I didn't feel like I was as concentrated on the game as I usually am. The image of the girl was stuck running through my mind like a movie. Her hair sat perfectly on her shoulders, her smile lighting up the entire ballpark. But even while I got on base with an RBI double, she wouldn't leave my mind. The second out is called as I'm too late getting to the bag on a force play, unfortunately. But as I make my way back to the dugout, I catch her eye again. My heart skips a beat. She just looks so much like - oh my god. It's her. Taking a final glance in her direction before stepping into the dugout, I remember it all. Morgan - the only girl I've ever really loved, is watching me play. The girl I thought I'd never see again is sitting only a few feet away from me. And I would hate myself forever if I let her get away again. I have to talk to her.

~

-morgan's pov-

The game comes to a positive end, the Reds beating the Giants 5-1. I think it's safe to say Riley had the time of her life at her first baseball game, and it seems like she's going to grow up to be just like her mom - baseball obsessed. She insisted we stay after the game to watch some of the interviews on the field, and how could I say no? Riley seemed so excited to watch the players for a little while longer. It was just too cute. I begin packing things into my purse, while searching for my phone in the large bag. I hear Riley's small giggle. Occupied by my lost phone, I'm too busy to look at what Riley's laughing at. That is, until I hear a deep voice.

"Hi! What's your name?" A deep, yet familiar voice asks. I look up to match the voice to the face. And I'm left breathless as I stare into the eyes of my first love. I get lost in the gorgeous pools of blue for a few seconds, until he turns his attention back to Riley, awaiting her answer.

"I'm Riley." She shouts, clearly a little too excited. A smile spreads across Scooter's lips, the familiarity causing butterflies to explode in my stomach. He turns his attention towards me once again.

"Hey Morgan, how have you been?" Scooter asks with a genuine tone, a sincere grin plastered on his face. My look softens as all of this reminds me of how things used to be. The time we spent together, the way he treated me, how happy we both were - everything was perfect. I just don't know where it went wrong.

"Mommy-" I feel a small tug on my jersey. I look down to meet Riley's small eyes as a worried expression is stuck on her face.

"You know Scooter Gennett?" She asks, an astonished tone in her voice. I can't help but laugh, glancing back up at Scooter, only to catch him staring at me. And the butterflies return.

"Yeah, we're, um..." I'm drawing a blank, not exactly sure how to explain the situation to a seven year old. Riley continues to stare a me, waiting for some kind of reason. But I have none.

"We're friends." Scooter jumps into the conversation. Riley's face lights up looking between the two of us. I mouth 'thank you' to Scooter, receiving a kind nod before he looks back to Riley who is staring at him in amazement. 

"Hey, how about I take you guys on a tour in the clubhouse? Riley, you can met all of the players!" He offers excitedly. Riley jumps up from her sitting, hopping up and down while chanting 'yes'. Scooter laughs as they both look to me for permission.

"Can we, mommy?" She asks innocently.

"Of course we can." I answer, looking back to Scooter. He really hasn't changed, seeing as he's still the same kind hearted guy I fell in love with in the first place.

"I'll lead the way." And with that, Scooter helps guide us towards the clubhouse through the field. Riley runs, trying to keep up with us. She begins to run in front, directly at the dugout. And Scooter takes the chance to gently place his hand on my lower back - just like old times.

~

Scooter leads us to a room still packed with most of the Reds roster. Some of the players take notice, asking Scooter who we were. And his answer was simple - a friend and her daughter. Scooter and I watch as Riley quickly finds a group of players, sparking a conversation, being the social butterfly she is. My eyes are fixed on her in the large room, but I feel the presence of someone else's. Turning my head to the right, I find Scooter watching me as I protectively keep an eye on Riley. A blush rises to my cheeks.

"So, we're just friends, huh?" I ask, trying to break the ice. I'm not exactly sure what I'm expecting of his response, but I really hope too much hasn't between us. I don't want this to be awkward. Scooter slips an arm around my waist, holding me protectively by his side. I rest my head on his shoulder, finally regaining the sense of comfort I once had with him.

"We can be more than friends." He answers. My heads snaps to look at him, immediately catching sight of those bright blue eyes. My heart melts as a shy smile sneaks onto my lips. I stare into his hopeful, ocean eyes, lightly licking my lips.

"I'd like that."

-

so i feel like the ending was just a little bit awkward, but to be honest, i didn't know how to end it without having to write a lot more so i'm sorry !! i really hope you like it girl ! 💗💗

jillian