thirty-one ✰ n. arenado (col)

it's all my fault

for RoyalMerrifield

it's all my fault✰ ✰ ✰for RoyalMerrifield

The park is buzzing. I, along with the rest of the fans at Coors Field, am on the edge of my seat. With it being game five of the NLDS, the future of the Rockies in the postseason relies on this game. Every play counts, and I can't help but feel bad for Nolan. I mean, having the pressure of making no mistakes, and not to mention the park full of rowdy fans, he must be nervous out of his mind. I find my hands shaking as a batter steps to the plate, one out, top of the ninth. The score is tied 4 - 4, and at this point, there can be no mistakes made. The bases are loaded after all. But all we need is a simple ground ball to set up a double play, and our boys can get the bats out. As I find myself lost in my thoughts, I here the sound of the ball colliding with the catcher's glove. Strike one. The next pitch, a swing and a miss. Strike two. The third pitch is a slider, and it's almost certain if contact is made, it will be a ground ball; foul or fair. And just as I guessed, the bat collides, making an awful sound, sending the ball flying in Nolan's direction. The ball sails, riding on the foul line. Making a diving stop, the ball glides well into the third baseman's glove. A routine ground out, no runs will score. As Arenado quickly hops to his feet, his cleat catches on the bag, causing him to slip off, his ankle bending at a painful angle when meeting the ground. The ball drops, as does Nolan. Time stops as Nolan slowly collapses, allowing the ball to roll out of his glove. Both of my hands cover my mouth as I let out a small scream, obviously worried more about Nolan than the game. One of the other wives places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. They try telling me he'll be okay, but it's more than clear Nolan is far from okay. The shortstop comes charging for the ball as the runners continue to round the bases. Nolan remains on the ground beside third, gripping his ankle in agony. My heart aches for him as I quickly jump onto my feet, turning to run up the steps and towards the clubhouse. After Trevor Story finally retrieves the ball, two runs had scored, and the batter reached on an error. The Rockies fall behind 6 - 4 in the ninth, because of an 'error' that could possibly end my boyfriend's career.

Finally making it into the clubhouse, I notice the trainer assisting Nolan down the steps from the dugout. I can still hear the crowd cheering, expressing their hope and respect for Nolan. I immediately run towards him, earning his attention as he hears my voice.

"Baby!" I yell, still moving quickly on my feet. Nolan's head snaps up, his eyes locking on mine. And my heart breaks. Tears fall slowly from his eyes, slipping from his jaw, soaking the front of his jersey. Once he's finally made his way down the steps, I crash into him, trying to be as gentle as possible. I can feel him shaking with every sob as I wrap my arms around his neck, resting my hand on the back of his neck. I urge him to rest his head on my shoulder. Playing with ends of his hair, I'm thinking of anything I could do to help him. But unfortunately, I don't think I can. I rest my head in the crook of his neck, taking a deep breathe. I force myself to hold the tears in. If Nolan can't be strong, I'm going to be strong for him.

"Baby, it's okay. You're going to be okay." I whisper softly into his ear. He continues to balance himself on me, clearly unable to apply pressure to his right ankle. His grip around my waist tightens, and I continue to run my hands through his hair. It seems like it's helping him calm down. I slowly pull away, being faced with his glistening cheeks and red eyes. And my heart breaks all over again. I can't imagine the pain he's in. And that's why he needs to get some help as soon as possible.

"Let's get you to the hospital, okay?" I say reassuringly, brushing away a tear slowly streaming down his cheek. He offers a small nod, waving the trainer over to help him walk to our car. As we hobble our way through the stadium and to the parking lot, my hands shake, anxiously. We can only hope for the best.

a few days later ...

Locking my car, I make my way to the front door of Nolan and I's house. Inching quietly through the doorway, I steadily carry some food from Denny's, including pancakes and eggs; Nolan's favourites. I expect Nolan to still be in bed, but to my surprise, I find him sitting on the couch in our living room; the NLCS currently playing. To say the least, after Nolan exited the game because of his injured ankle, the Rockies lost, therefore ending their postseason. And of course, Nolan thought it was all his fault. If he hadn't injured himself, the last two outs could've been made, and we would either walk it off or go into extras. And despite an extra solo shot in the bottom of the ninth, the Rockies still lost 6 - 5. As I creep into the living room, I notice Nolan sitting silently on the couch, his eyes fixed in front of him, even though I'm sure he's not even watching the game. My heart breaks as I realize how much blame he's been putting on himself, and how terribly it's affected his usually happy and hyper personality. I quietly make my way to sit beside him on the couch, placing my hand softly on his shoulder. He looks up at me hesitantly, our eyes meeting. His eyes tell me everything; about the self blame, the regret, the pain. My breath catches i my throat at the sight. And I immediately engulf him in a hug, holding him in my arms. I can feel him beginning to shake, quietly sobbing in my embrace.

"That could have been us, Melea-" His voice shakes, and I begin combing my hand through his black locks. He has no idea how much I wish I could help him, but there's nothing I can do.

"B-but it's not - because of me." I immediately pull myself out of his tight embrace, looking directly into his gorgeous brown eyes. I use the pad of my thumb to wipe the small tears that had fallen from his eyes, colliding with his stubble.

"Don't say that, Nolan. You know it wasn't your fault. Don't you even begin to blame yourself." Nolan continues to stare at me intently, his hands shaking in mine.

"I-I dropped the ball, and now we're out of the postseason. I didn't even deserve to start that day." His words physically hurt me. He has to know how amazing he is, and I'm going to be the one to tell him.

"Nolan, you are absolutely amazing. And everyone knows it - baby, I know it. You are full of talent, and if you didn't deserve to start in game five, then no one did. Because you are possibly the most dedicated, hard-working player on the Rockies, and to blame yourself for a loss because of your injury - is not right. It's not your fault, okay?" I squeeze his hands in mine, running my thumb softly over the back of his hand. Nolan lightly bites his lip, offering a small nod. I place my hand on the back of his neck, pulling him in for another emotional hug. As his head rests on my shoulder, I lightly place my lips on his cheek, being tickled by his beard. We sway back and forth on the couch in our living room - not a care in the world. Nolan's lips brush against my ear, sending chills through my body.

"I love you so much, Melea." He says in a quiet whisper, melting my heart.

"I love you too, Nolan." And Nolan no longer blamed himself, let alone cared about their loss in the postseason. We simply enjoyed our endless amount of time together, tangled with one another on the couch.

-

imagine this actually happening irl , oof . i feel like i was jumping all over the place w the emotions like what ? haha anyways ,, i really hope you like it , melea !! 💗💗

jillian