forty-two ✰ a. bregman (hou)

meet my brother

for ellexx03

I see cars pulling into the parking lot, so I decide to throw on my sweater and inform the parents about the situation

I see cars pulling into the parking lot, so I decide to throw on my sweater and inform the parents about the situation. I step out of the dugout, immediately pulling my hood up to block myself from the rain. The tee-ball game is scheduled to start in about half an hour, but it's been raining for about twenty minutes, and I'm not sure if the girls will be able to get their game in, especially with the condition of the field. I find a crowd of a few parents and their kids in the middle of the parking lot, most likely discussing the game and whether or not we'll be playing. I make my way to the group, immediately being greeted by all of the girls. They still seem excited to play. As I approach the group, I recognize all of the parents there with their kids - except one. Yet, he doesn't seem old enough to be a parent, especially not the parent of a six year-old. He doesn't even look older than twenty-five. Our eyes meet as I get closer to the group. I shove my hands into my pockets trying to occupy myself, or more importantly, trying to keep myself from looking awkward. I flash a small smile, receiving one in return. And I swear time stopped. I've never seen a more beautiful smile in my life. My heart races and my hands are basically drenched in sweat by the time I meet the parents in the parking lot. The mystery guy's gaze stays fixed on me as I turn to the other parents. And I already know my cheeks must be as red as a tomato.

"Elle, what's going on?" One parent ask, the others all joining in agreeing with the question. I. myself, am not exactly sure what to do. My dad's coached this team for years, but seeing as he's been getting older and I grew up on baseball - I help out as often as possible. Most days I end up coaching by myself, but I don't mind. What can I say, I love the girls.

"So the field looks pretty wet but the rain should be stopping soon, so I was thinking the girls and I could sit in the dugout and you guys could wait in your cars." I say calmly, my gaze landing on the young guy. My heart race speeds up again. All of the girls' faces light up at my offer. I'm sure they love me just as much as I love them. One of the girls starts jumping up and down, grasping onto her mother's jacket.

"Please!" She exclaims, the other girls join in asking their parents. The group burst into a fit of laughter, including myself. After a moment to make a decision, the parents all agree. The girls and I run through the rain to the dugout while the parents hop back in their cars. Before stepping into the dugout, I take a headcount just to make sure everyone is here. Counting all 11 girls, I take a seat on the bench with the rest of the team.

"Elle?" A tiny voice calls from the end of the bench. I poke my head out to match the voice to the girl, only to find Lindsay.

"Yeah?"

"Are we going to be playing?" The rest of the girls join in on the conversation.