thirty-eight ✰ i. happ (chc)

they're going to love you
✰ ✰ ✰
for bursgirl37

A deep breath escapes my lips as I face myself in the mirror

A deep breath escapes my lips as I face myself in the mirror. Precisely placing the final touches on my makeup, the door flies open, the brush in my hand crashing to the floor, along with the compact. I let out a small yelp. Turning to face the door with wide eyes, I see Ian standing in the doorway, a nervous look plastered on his face.

"Ian, what are you doing?" He rushes into the bathroom, revealing his outfit. And boy, did he look good. He smooths his shirt down, looking back up to face me.

"How do I look?" Ian asks anxiously, playing with his hands, awaiting my response. I let out a small giggle.

"You look amazing, baby." I take in the sight of his dark jeans and white polo shirt, biting my lip. A smirk spreads across his face causing my cheeks to heat up. Ian lightly licks his lips, slowly wrapping his arms around my waist, positioning both of us to face the mirror.

"Are you sure?" He asks, clearly searching for some kind of reassurance. I smile, nodding my head.

"Yes, Ian. Why are you so worried?" I place my hand softly on his cheek. Ian's sigh echoes throughout the bathroom as he lowers his eyes. My eyes soften at the sight of a frown on his face.

"Delia, this is the first time I'm meeting your family. I really want them to like me. And I want to make a good first impression." I turn around to face him completely, rather than simply staring at him in the mirror. Placing my hands either sides of his face, I force his eyes to meet mine, a small grin played on his lips.

"They are going to love you, Ian. Okay?" I say sternly. Ian nods in response, even though he still seems extremely unsure. He takes a deep breath, staring into my eyes.

"Okay. I think I'm ready." I flash a bright smile, turning back to face the mirror. I bend over to pick up the items I'd dropped out of fear when Ian slammed the door open. Standing back up, I notice Ian staring at himself in the mirror again. I roll my eyes.

"Are you sure I look okay?" He asks, adjusting his shirt.

"Yes, Ian! Now let's go, we're going to be late." I shout, rushing both of us out of the bathroom. Ian laughs as I shove him out the front door, locking the door behind me. I watch as he hesitantly sits behind the wheel, starting the car. Ian still seems so nervous about meeting my family. But I don't think he has anything to worry about; how could they not love him?

~

My family has a tradition of having a family picnic every year in June; everyone brings their husbands and kids and blah blah blah. Seeing as I wasn't with Ian until July last year, this is his first time meeting everyone. As we pull into the parking lot, Ian's grip on my hand tightens, our eyes both landing on the group of my family members. I gently rub my thumb back and forth on the backside of his hand, trying to help calm his nerves. We stay seated in the car for a small moment, giving Ian time to regather himself.

"Baby, don't worry. Everyone is going to love you." I say, staring at his side profile as is eyes are still fixed on the scene in front of us. Ian takes a deep breath. Our eyes meet.

"Okay, let's go." He breathes out. A smile plays on my lips. I place a quick kiss on his cheek before hopping out of the car. As we approach the group hand-in-hand, my family notices me immediately.

"Delia!" My mom calls. I wave at the group, a bunch of them returning the gesture. Ian's grip tightens around my hand. I take a quick glance at him, just to make sure he's okay. And luckily, he doesn't seem to be totally freaked out. Two of my young nephews come running up to Ian and I, out of breath.

"A-are you Ian Happ?" One asks, still gasping for air. I notice a huge smile spread across Ian's as the kids stare at him in awe. My heart melts right then and there.

"Yeah, I am. Are you guys Cubs fans?" Ian asks kindly, earning eager nods from both of them. Ian and I laugh at their starstruck reactions. I notice the baseball gloves in their hands.

"Do you think you could play catch with us?" Jason, my sister's son, asks with hope in his eyes. The other nods, agreeing with the question. Ian looks to me, asking for permission. I nod, a huge smile still stuck on my face. Ian's smile widens at my response, turning back to my nephews.

"Of course! I always keep an extra glove in my car." Ian answers with excitement. My heart skips a beat. The two kids jump up and down, clearly overjoyed. Ian places his hand on my lower back, pressing his lips lightly to my forehead, before heading off to his car. I watch as the boys head off to have some fun before making my way to greet the rest of my family. I take a seat beside my mom and aunt. We share small talk about our lives, mostly consisting of talk about my relationship. But simply talking about him gets my heart beating. I find myself staring at the boys as they play catch, my specifically stuck on Ian. Their game is full of laughs and smiles, especially a lot of fooling around. My heart melts at the sight. My nephews really seem to like him. I find myself lost in the sight of him getting along so well with the kids. I'm basically ignoring my mom and aunt at this point, only murmuring 'mhm' a few times. They both lean closer to me, trying to figure out what I'm staring at. Giant smirks spread across both of their faces when they realize what's caught my attention.

"Hey, Delia." My mom calls, even though I'm still stuck in my trance.

"Mhm?"

"I think he's a keeper." She states, catching my attention. My head snaps in her direction, being faced with the sight of her bright smile. Taking in what she just said, I realize - I was right. My family loves him. And so do I.

"Yeah, I think he might be the one, Delia." My aunt adds.

"You know I think you guys are right. He is the one." And in that moment, Ian catches my attention again. He raises his hand, offering a wave and not to mention, an adorable smile. I let out a giggle, returning a small wave. Ian then turns back to the game of catch with the boys, dazzling smiles on all of their faces. They all look so happy. And I know he'll make our own kids that happy one day. 

-

i feel like there wasn't enough fluff in this ,, i barely included any interactions between you and ian but i thought this was pretty cute ? i really hope you like it girl !! 💗💗

jillian