38

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT; BRING IT ON

Cassie's outfit;

I let out a deep sigh as I laid in my room in the Salvatore boarding house on my bed, with my hands on my stomach and I looked up at the ceiling

It had been a few days since Jeremy died, a few days since Elena burnt down our childhood, just a few days since she had turned off her humanity and so far she was doing ok, but she wasn't the same as she was, there was apart me that worried that I would never get my sister back.

"We're gonna lose her Damon." I heard the sound of Stefan's voice and I turned my head and tucked my hair behind my ear before climbing out of my bed.

"She needs time. It's only been a few days." I heard Damon tell Stefan as I walked over to my bedroom door.

"Her humanity's off. She's basically numb to everything that makes her who she is." Stefan's voice got louder as I crept out of my room and walked down the hallway all the way to the stairs.

"She's a vampire, flipping the switch is one of the biggest perks. If being undead gets you down. Voila, vampire Prozac." Damon said and I peaked my head around the corner and looked down at both Stefan and Damon.

It has seemed like ever since Jeremy died both of the brothers have been treating me with kiddie gloves, like, they're scared I'm going to break or something.

I'm not.

I feel better— not better, better wouldn't be the right word, but not as bad as I did. I feel numb. I try not to think about Jeremy because it only gets me down, I just want them to stop treating me like I'm made of glass.

"She burned down her family home with her brothers dead body inside." Stefan reminded him and my heart ached but only for a moment.

"Saves us the trouble from having to do it ourselves, I call that a win." Damon shrugged nonchalantly. "Worst case scenario, I'll invoke the sire bond and tell her to turn it back on."

"No, her brother just died. If you force all that grief on her at once, it's going to overwhelm her." Stefan said as I crept down the stairs slowly.