4

Rye

"Andy?" I pulled up to Melrose Street, but Andy was nowhere in sight.

I locked my car before walking up and down the road, and found Andy huddled up behind a few trees. He was crying uncontrollably. "Andy, what's wrong?" I sat beside him on the grass, taking him into my arms.

"I-I'm fine," he stuttered, sobbing less now.

I pulled his chin up slightly, and almost gasped when I saw fresh bruises on his face. The other ones hadn't even had time to heal properly. 

"You're not fine, Andy. Did Javier do this?" 

Andy shook his head quickly. "It's fine. I'm fine. It wasn't Javier. Don't worry."

"Of course I'm going to fucking worry! Tell me if Javier did this, Andy. I won't be angry," I said softly. 

"Javier didn't do this," Andy replied a little firmly.

I sighed, knowing I wouldn't get the answer I needed to hear. "You want to lie to me? Fine. But you're my best friend. I don't ever want to see you suffer. You mean so much to me. I can't lose somebody else. Not after last time."

Andy looked up at me through his tears and I saw the concern in his eyes as we both painfully reminisced on what had happened. "Javier didn't do this. I can handle it, Ryan. Just leave it."

"But what about these?" I questioned, motioning towards his bruises. "The boys are going to want to know."

"Then take me home quickly. I'll cover them up and we can go to the studio."

Andy stood up and headed towards my car, and I sighed heavily, unlocking the doors. The drive back was silent, but it wasn't even comfortable. Andy just stared ahead at the road, deep in his thoughts.

Andy

Flashback 

"Hey," I smiled at Javier as I walked through the door. Surprisingly, he returned the kind gesture.

"You okay?" This nice Javier, it wasn't normal, but I chose to ignore it. I nodded in response and put my jacket down. "Come cuddle with me," he said. I agreed and savoured this moment between us. The only time things had been good between Javier and I was at the beginning of the relationship. But as time passed, his anger grew out of control and he decided to take it out on me.

"Can we watch a movie?" I asked, and instantly regretted it. I closed my eyes, waiting for the outburst.

"Of course, baby. But I need to talk to you first," Javier replied, taking my hands. I sat up and faced him, and saw the sad expression on his face.

"What's wrong, Javi?"

He sighed heavily, and a tear rolled down his cheek, quickly followed by more. "My sister, Jess, she was murdered." His voice broke as the words came out, and I felt like someone was sticking a dagger through my heart and twisting continuously. I gasped, pulling my boyfriend close to me.

"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry. She was an amazing girl." I ran a hand through his hair and softly kissed his forehead.

"She was the only family I had left. Who the fuck could have done this?" He sobbed angrily, clutching my hoodie, or rather, Rye's hoodie. Rye's smell was still on it, and I only prayed Javier didn't realise this.

He sniffed, and quickly sat up. Shit. "Who's is this?" He questioned angrily. I saw the fire igniting in his eyes, and took a deep breath.

"Rye's."

"Why do you have his clothes? Can you not afford your own fucking stuff?"

"I fell asleep last night. I was shivering and he put it on me. I-I didn't even know!"

"Don't shout at me, you fucking liar! Are you cheating on me with him?" Javier growled in my face, tightly gripping my wrist. I whimpered in pain, and desperately hoped he would let go. Big mistake.

"Talk to me!" He screamed, slapping me with the back of his hand. The tears quickly fell from my eyes, only angering Javier more. The stinging pain was followed by multiple punches.

"N-no! I'm not cheating," I cried out.

"I just lost my fucking sister, and you decide it's okay to lie to me?! And I suppose you told him everything else too. You told him I hit you, didn't you?"

"No. I didn't tell him, or anyone else. I just said I fell. He b-believed me, I swear. And I cover it up every day."

"Yeah, right. If you're not going to be loyal to me, then leave." He pulled me off the couch, throwing me towards the door. My jacket was thrown at me and I stumbled out of the apartment as quickly as possible.

When I reached a cluster of trees, I crawled inside and called Rye with shaking hands.

End of flashback

"Andy? I'm sorry for pushing you. I just care about you a lot." Rye's voice brought me back to reality and I shook my head. We were parked in front of the apartment already? 

"It's not your fault. But I honestly can't tell you. Please, I just want you to understand that. That's all," I pleaded.

"Okay," he nodded. "Let's just get that covered up quickly. We have to go to the studio after."

"Come on, then." Before we got out, he wiped away tears I hadn't even acknowledged streaming down my cheeks.

"Don't cry," Rye whispered. He bolted out the car and opened my car door. I smiled and stepped out. After he locked the doors, he pulled me into a hug, and I relaxed in his arms. Unlike the other hugs, this was the most welcoming, the most safe, the most loving.

"Thank you for being here. I don't want to have to keep things from you, but I have to. I just have to," I said softly. Rye nodded, lifting my chin up slightly.

"I know. And you can tell me in your own time, when you feel comfortable enough to," he reassured me.

After I had concealed the bruises, we drove back to the studio. The whole time, there was a strange feeling in my chest when I glanced over to my best friend.