7

Rye

We were seen almost immediately after admitting Andy into the hospital, and he lay unconscious on the bed. I sat on the uncomfortable chair beside him and took his hand, stroking his hand comfortingly, praying he'd wake at my touch. His eyes stayed closed, almost all of the blood drained from his beautiful face. Although he had a deathly pale complexion, he still managed to look as peaceful as he did when he usually slept.

"The doctor's going to be here soon," Mikey announced, walking back into the room. He smiled sadly when he saw me holding Andy's hand.

"I can't tell him, Mike. Not now. It'll ruin everything we already have."

"Rye, whether it's the right timing or not, the relationship you guys have even as best friends is 100% better than Javier and Andy's so called relationship. You and I both know that no matter how much you deny it, there is an undeniable connection between you guys. You just have to go for it. Seize your window of opportunity. Before it's too late."

Mikey's words replayed in my brain over and over again, like a song on loop. He was right. I couldn't keep these feelings secret anymore. And besides, it's not like it wasn't obvious anyway.

"How did this happen anyway?" Though there was no intention behind it, Mikey's question pierced my heart, as if a bullet had been shot through. I could already feel the tears falling, and wiped them away quickly. Andy couldn't even wipe them away for me.

"It, it's not my place to say. If Andy wants to tell everyone, then it's his choice. I'm sorry, Mikey."

"Nah, it's okay, mate. I can see it's hurting you, and I'm not going to push you." Mikey placed a hand on my shoulder, looking down at Andy. "How does he manage to look so peaceful right now?"

I chuckled, smiling a little. "I know. He's beautiful."

"Well, I won't disagree," Mikey replied, laughing.

Footsteps coming from the door made us look up and a lady in uniform walked in. "Hello, boys. I assume you're Andy's roommates?" We nodded, and Mikey opened his mouth to speak. "I'm Dr Johnson, Andy's doctor. You guys can call me Niamh."

"How is he?"

"Andy's fine. However, he lost quite a bit of blood, so we'll just have to keep him here for a couple of days just to monitor his health and check his levels are where they should be. After that, he's free to go." As she finished her sentence, Blair walked in, followed by Sophie, who ran over to us. She put her arms around me, and started crying.

"What happened?" Blair joined us, embracing Sophie.

Mikey looked at me, knowing I'd have to speak for Andy. But I couldn't just betray my best friend like that.

"Sorry, who are you?" Niamh looked expectantly at Blair, who looked up.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Blair Dreelan, Andy's manager. The boys are in a band together." He then turned his attention to me, waiting for me to answer him.

"Wait, you were in East 17! I loved your music," Niamh smiled, fangirling slightly. It was pretty amusing to see someone fangirl over Blair.

"Thanks, love. Rye?"

"Hmm?" I didn't dare look up.

"Tell me what happened."

"It's not my place to say, Blair. If Andy wants to say something, he can." I could sense the growing anger in his voice as he tried to get an answer out of me.

"Well, Andy can't tell us right now, and you were obviously with him. It will also be your place to say when your career with the band is currently on the line. Tell me," he said firmly.

"Blair, honey, stop. If Ryan doesn't want to say, you can't force him to. We'll wait until Andy's awake, and you can ask him then, if he wants to answer." I had never been so relieved to have Sophie here with us, but still didn't look up from Andy.

Blair sighed and took a seat on the other side of the bed. "Please wake up, Andy. The boys need you. Me and Soph, we need you. Your family need you. The Roadies, they need you 100%."

My vision of Andy was quickly blurred by my salty tears, and Mikey patted my shoulder, telling the others me and Andy needed some time together.

"I really like you, Andy. I can't keep that hidden anymore. You need to end it with Javier, for good. It'll only get worse than this, we both know that. You've helped me so much. You don't realise it, but you have. Before Blair trialed me, I was in such a dark place after a relationship that completely broke me. It made me see that love was completely pointless. It made me think I didn't need to love people and open up to others to survive. But I do. I strayed away from my family and isolated myself with only my thoughts. But telling you this stuff, being there as your best friend, or whatever the fuck we are, it's given me a reason to carry on living. I've never shown you before, but I used to cut. Not just my arms. My legs, too. When there was no space left on my arms. I used to steal my dad's lighter and burn my skin. Not all the way, just enough to hurt. I held pills to my mouth so many fucking times. I'd distanced myself from my family so much, they kicked me out. I stayed at a friend's house, until I came across Blair's Instagram. Even after joining RoadTrip. Because I trusted nobody and didn't know you. But that all stopped when we started hanging out more and more. And I don't regret a single moment of us together, even when we fought over the stupidest things. I love our little kisses, our cuddles, our private talks, falling asleep together, our own pre-show ritual. You know what that is. You always will, I'm hoping. You described me on one of our Q and A Wednesdays as your soulmate. And that hit me hard. Because it's so fucking true, Andy. Yes, we're best friends, but I like you a lot, and I want to spend forever with you, whatever our status. You've made me feel alive."

I closed my eyes and wiped the tears from my face, just going over what I'd just said. Andy most likely didn't even hear me. The door opened and I felt Blair's hand on my shoulder. Looking up, I saw him giving a small smile.

"Sorry about before, Rye. He'll be alright. Come on, let's go back to the flat, yeah?"

"Just, just let me say goodbye first," I whispered.

Blair nodded, exiting the room again.

"I'll come back tomorrow, Andy. I promise." I kissed his forehead softly, then his lips. His eyes stayed shut.